VOGONS

First post, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

after some time of lurking I finally decided to sign up and ask some questions, hehe.

So a few months ago I got struck by nostalgia and decided to loosely recreate my first "real" computer that I got when I was 6 years old (actually I had one prior to that but only for a really short period). I scored a workstation made by "Zenith Datasystems" on ebay, originally equipped with a Slot 1 PII on an Intel AL440LX and 128mb RAM (I think). The CPU was upgraded with a Slotket adapter to a Celeron with 450 Mhz (450 Mhz is exactly what I had back in the days), the RAM was upgraded to 512 mb and the graphics card is an ATI Xpert @work (I think I had an Elsa Erazor at some point). All of this was done by the previus owner, I additionally stuck a Creative AWE64 in there.

I installed Windows 98 SE and did all the Service Pack 3, 98SE2ME, KernelEx and Revolutions Pack magic because I was bored and wanted to try it out. Man I'm impressed what all those guys put together .. but that's a different topic.

Now I want to play some games, but not only DOS games, some 3d windows games also. Therefore I need a better graphics card! Problem is, the AL440LX seems to be the first board ever with an AGP slot which heavily limits the possible choices .. Some people reported that Riva TNT cards work fine, others say that they can actually fry the board, as some cards draw somewhere around 9A while the traces on the board can only handle up to 6A. 3dfx Voodoo cards seem to work fine, but they are pretty darn expensive here so I'm looking for alternatives.

tl;dr: which graphics card with a good price/performance ratio will work with the limited AGP capabilities of my AL440LX? At least 16 mb video ram would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 12, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would bet there is no way that a Riva TNT could use 9 amps. That would be 29.7 watts, and many of those cards came with a very small passive heatsink, so if they drew even close to that amount of power, I bet they would have burned to death at this point. I would start by looking at chips which have PCI variants, since the PCI connector is specified for a maximum of 25 watts if I'm not remembering wrong, if you get the AGP version of a card, that has a PCI variant the power usage really shouldn't be even that 25 watts.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 2 of 12, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps an AGP Geforce2 MX. Should be completely capable of anything that Celeron 450 can handle, has good performance, good DOS compatibility, and is dirt cheap.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 12, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would bet there is no way that a Riva TNT could use 9 amps. That would be 29.7 watts

I guess you are right, the 9A were related to a Riva TNT2 Ultra I believe.. Well assuming the 6A are correct, that is 19,8W as the absolute maximum, so I would want something a bit lower than that. Looking for PCI cards which have an AGP variant is a good idea, but seeing that the maximum power for PCI is 25W it is still not guaranteed to work properly I guess.. Maybe a PCI card would be a better choice?

Perhaps an AGP Geforce2 MX. Should be completely capable of anything that Celeron 450 can handle, has good performance, good DOS compatibility, and is dirt cheap.

Hmm that sounds like a good idea, I found some really cheap ones in my area and I saw a post where someone claimed that mx cards use about 4-5W of power, although that seems a bit low to me.

Thanks for the input so far!

Edit: I just read that someone successfully used a GF2 MX on a 440LX chipset and someone mentioned that a Radeon 8500 worked fine also. The latter apparently draws 23W max..

Reply 4 of 12, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To give you an idea, the GF2 MX doesn't even have a heatsink most of the time. Anandtech also alludes to it having a 4W consumption.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 5 of 12, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm most of the cards I found on ebay actually had one, most of them even with a fan, but I read the 4W several times now and even the Geforce2 GTS consumes just 8-9W. Sweet!
I found many GF2 MX (400) for just 2-5 bucks, that is a no-brainer. Thanks a bunch, I will report back when I receive one. But I'm still open for other suggestions 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 440LX board that does not like any Geforce 256 or Geforce2 that I have tried. It works fine with my TNT (Creative CT6710), TNT2M64 and TNT2 pro. It also works with my Matrox G200 and G400Max.

Edit: I have not tried a Geforce2MX but I did try a Geforce2 GTS and Geforce2 pro and they both did not work

Reply 7 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably a Voodoo3 3000 AGP. The 440LX is one of the earliest AGP boards released so you'll have to stick with cards that are very comfortable at working in 1x/2x such as the 3dfx ones, as well as considering the 66mhz FSB the CPUs will be stuck with, as well as the compatibility for the games of its time.

Technically you could stick an older Radeon in there since ATI SmartGART is flexible enough to work on older AGPs than the Geforces but ......games

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AGP 4x cards sometimes have jumpers to configure for best compatibility with AGP 2x. But yeah a Voodoo3 is ideal for something like this. It's important to have Glide support.

Reply 9 of 12, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm that's a shame. The cheapest (and actually the only one right now) Voodoo 3 3000 I can find is listed for 75€ and honestly, I don't want to spend too much on this computer right now. So if the TNTs work I think I'll try one first and take my time to hunt a cheaper Voodoo 3 or persuade myself to spend more than I initially wanted..

Edit: Hmm I think I found a Voodoo 3 2000 for 50€.. What do you think?

Reply 12 of 12, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There she is 😀 I mounted a 40mm fan on top of the small heatsink for good measure. Runs great so far ! Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-03 at 19.41.17.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-03 at 19.41.17.jpeg
File size
246.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-03 at 19.58.00.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-03 at 19.58.00.jpeg
File size