VOGONS

AGP is a bloody nightmare

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 54, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well fwiw ..either the 9800pro is unsuitable ...or faulty..or I'm using the wrong drivers ?
Ued the same installation on hard drive ...on a different mobo ..
The Jetway I recently bought ..
512mb ram ..
Now using the Duron CPU ..
The AGP slot is universal ..I think.
No plastic slot inhibitors in there at all ..
In the Bios I opened up the aperture to 128mb ..
I can set 1x 2x 4x etc..
currently set at 4x ..
and the results are the same ..2 seconds of graphic activity ..then freezes ..
I am hoping it is simply a driver issue ..otherwise ..
the 9800 is unsuitable for this mobo ...and the cuv4x ...
or worse ..it is faulty ..
but running just fine in normal use ..only appear to have problems with 3d acceleration.
Has anyone got an ISO of the original driver CD for the radeon 9800 pro ?
rgds
VS

Reply 41 of 54, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before trying anything else, I would strongly suggest removing the Hyperion chipset driver (I'm assuming you installed 5.24A) and installing the "Retro" 4.43 version from VIA's website.
I have a similar VIA chipset motherboard for Socket 462 (ECS K7VZA 1.0) and the system would lock up from time to time with 5.24A drivers and AGP wouldn't go past 2X.
With driver version 4.43 AGP 4X worked instantly and stability issues went away (or so I think, I'll admit I didn't spend too much time with that platform).
This was with a GF4 MX440-8X, so I can't guarantee it will work for a 9800 Pro.
What are the specs of the PSU you are using (12V and 5V rails)?
Also, I think you should try the card in a Pentium 4 era AGP 8X motherboard (if you have one) before ruling it out as defective.

The only nightmare with AGP for me is the fragility of the slot itself, which is supposedly rated for only 50 insertions. I had a really nice Abit AI7 board which is now basically useless due to a broken pin in the AGP slot...

Reply 42 of 54, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
watson wrote:

The only nightmare with AGP for me is the fragility of the slot itself, which is supposedly rated for only 50 insertions. I had a really nice Abit AI7 board which is now basically useless due to a broken pin in the AGP slot...

I had an amazing accident with an AGP slot on an MSI 875P board. Something fell on the AGP card and the slot bent. I thought it was a goner, but after bending it back the slot still worked.
Not such a lucky break though because that motherboard turned out to suck anyway. 😀

But yeah, once damaged it seems there's not much you can do. I've gotten better at desoldering but I think desoldering an AGP slot would be almost impossible. I think I could do ISA but AGP is just way too many tiny pins packed together.
Maybe the plastic can be peeled away leaving only the pins, and then the pins desoldered one at a time. I bet it's a lot easier said than done though.
I have a badly broken AGP slot on another board that I guess could be worth attempting that with. Can't make it any worse.

Reply 43 of 54, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:

But yeah, once damaged it seems there's not much you can do. I've gotten better at desoldering but I think desoldering an AGP slot would be almost impossible.

It might be possible to do with hot air, but I don't have a hot air station.
Also, there seem to be no new AGP slots easily available (it looks like DigiKey still has some, but I'm not in the US) and I don't have any other board I would be willing to sacrifice right now.
Removing one from another board would also mean twice the desoldering.

Reply 44 of 54, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to de-soldering anything with multipins ..through hole or surface mount ..I thoroughly recommend a bizmuth based product called Chip-Quik ..
I use it all the time in my job..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knGuVCK-MiE

Reply 45 of 54, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vipersan wrote:

When it comes to de-soldering anything with multipins ..through hole or surface mount ..I thoroughly recommend a bizmuth based product called Chip-Quik ..
I use it all the time in my job..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knGuVCK-MiE

I bought some Chip-Quik a couple years ago just to keep in my back pocket, but it's so expensive I didn't want to use it unless I was desperate. Then I forgot I had it.
Maybe it would be worth using on an AGP slot. Might take an awful lot of it though, given the size of the connector.

Reply 46 of 54, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is expensive ..but if used then collected up ..it can be reused several times ..before it gets so polluted with leaded and non leaded solder it is useless..
Use only the gel flux provided ..it lasts longer this way..and you can avoid using more than you need.
rgds
Typically I can remove a 48 pin TSOP DIL smd with approx 1cm > 2cm of ChipQuik ..but such small quantities are rarely collectable and reusable.

Reply 47 of 54, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FWIW the Chip-Quik is the same as an alloy called Cerrolow 136. Recently a couple of pounds of this sold on ebay for about $30. It pops up regularly there as well. Yes a 2-lbs block will not be useful as-is for desoldering, but it melts at such a low temperature (58C/136F) that it shouldn't be hard to melt chunks of it and pour in strips.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 48 of 54, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some Chip-Quik that I've had Packed away for almost 25 years. I forget about it, find it again, then forget about it. Just never seem motivated enough to try it. For the most part, if the IC is dead, it can be cut off. Does it really stay molten long enough to remove and reuse a QFP 200+ pin package? The pins on a UMC 8881 QFP, for example, are so fragile that wouldn't they get bent trying to remove it with Chik-Quik?

EDIT: Watched this video removing a QFP-208. The guy didn't clean up and prep. the chip for reuse. My first thought is that the pins will get pretty bent removing all the solder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmD7F0--7Lc

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 49 of 54, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had the closest thing to a successful 3Dmark test yet with my recently purchased
Jetway 663AS Pro Socket 462 Motherboard -VIA KT133 - Duron 950 CPU.
Well saturday I took delivery of the Radeon 9800SE I bought from Russia ..
Untested and looking a little odd ..
Well it would appear the original heatsink had beed removed ..along with the fan.
..and that was why it looked odd.
The 3rd party heatsink was hanging off ..and the fan was a 3 wire type and incompatible.
I bodged a fan in there after securing the heatsink ..just so I could test it.
Result ..the most progress toward my 98/XP gaming machine with ISA so far..
I' think there might be issues at higher resolutions ..
but the test ran smoothly for the most part ..and more importantly ..
completed.
A good start I guess ..but wont be using the card again until I've improvised a new heatsink and fan.

Attachments

• benchtest.jpg
    Filename
    benchtest.jpg
    File size
    166.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 50 of 54, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should raise a dispute on ebay for it.

They sent me the wrong heatsink and fan for my Geforce 4 Ti 4200. I sent a return request and they refunded me about half the price I paid for it. So it is totally worth it to ask for consideration in these cases.

Reply 51 of 54, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was actually sold as untested and unkown ...so really I got just that ..
and this was reflected in the price ..
I think I paid around 25euro including postage ..
Not expensive really for the board considering it is a worker.
But it will need some cooling..which I most likely would retrofit anyway.
What do you think about the 3Dmark results buddy ?
I am fairly pleased with it so far.
rgds
VS

just ordered one of these on ebay...
looks like it will fit and only a couple of ££s

Attachments

• heatsink-fan.jpg
    Filename
    heatsink-fan.jpg
    File size
    58.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Vipersan on 2018-09-03, 11:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 52 of 54, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did the pictures advertising the card show a correct heatsink and fan? Or at least a fan with the correct connector. If so, lodge a refund request for not as described.

How much you pay for something isn't really the point. Sellers need to properly describe their products, problems and all. Not a fan of sellers that deliberately send broken, incorrectly described or otherwise dodgy junk. I also hate sellers that send stuff without static protection.

The 4200ti I was got, I paid $ 14.05 for it, add $ 20.33 for postage. The refund was $ 15.70, so I ended up paying nothing for the card and got a slight discount on postage.

Reply 53 of 54, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:

Did the pictures advertising the card show a correct heatsink and fan? Or at least a fan with the correct connector. If so, lodge a refund request for not as described.

How much you pay for something isn't really the point. Sellers need to properly describe their products, problems and all. Not a fan of sellers that deliberately send broken, incorrectly described or otherwise dodgy junk. I also hate sellers that send stuff without static protection.

The 4200ti I was got, I paid $ 14.05 for it, add $ 20.33 for postage. The refund was $ 15.70, so I ended up paying nothing for the card and got a slight discount on postage.

worth asking I guess ..but if the seller wants it returned ..then I will lose a damned good card..
and 'tis..Russia ..so returning it could be a pita

It was supplied in an anti static bag ..and well packaged.
There is a pic of the very card I bought at the bottom of page 1 in this thread.
I had nothing to compare it to ..but looked ok as is ..but obviously the cooler is 3rd party now Ive seen it close up.
🤣

Reply 54 of 54, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vipersan wrote:
worth asking I guess ..but if the seller wants it returned ..then I will lose a damned good card.. and 'tis..Russia ..so returni […]
Show full quote
canthearu wrote:

worth asking I guess ..but if the seller wants it returned ..then I will lose a damned good card..
and 'tis..Russia ..so returning it could be a pita
🤣

But if they insist on return, you can always ask them to pay postage?

In any case, you are always able to close a return without returning the card.

Most sellers are fair though, and will make good on their mistakes.