VOGONS

First post, by rcarkk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys. I´m new here. I have an interesting question. Today, i received a 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI with 6ns SDRAM modules. My question is, the majority of cards, brings 7ns SDRAM modules and are STB cards. This one says 3dfx on the front and is manufactured in China. Is this a fake card? I only saw one on google like mine. All of the rest are STB manufactured in Mexico. Any ideas?

Attachments

Baby AT socket7 - Pentium MMX 233MHz + 3Dfx Voodoo
Socket 8 build - Soyo 6FA + Pentium Pro 200MHz + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB
PC Remake - Pentium III 450 + Matrox G400 16MB
The K6-III build

Reply 2 of 6, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the exact same card including the same 6ns ram chips. Mine's only mising the china sticker.

6ns is nice as they are the same as the ones on the 3000 cards so 166mhz should be easy, just put a fan on the small heatsink.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 6, by realoldguy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have the same card. The previous owner just had replaced the heat sink with a bigger one. China sticker and RAM speed is the same as on yours. The card works perfectly. Why do you think its a fake?

Reply 4 of 6, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most Voodoo3 were made in Mexico but these chinese are rather common too. They are definitely genuine, no fake cards.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 6, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3Dfx had quality and volume related issues with their Mexican plant at Juarez after the STB purchase in 1998, so they outsourced some production to China. These cards are just as good as Mexican. At the very least, their GPU heat spreaders were glued better on average than on those Mexican cards.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 6 of 6, by rcarkk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I thought the card was fake. Yeah, it works very well and OC to 166mhz on memory and GPU very easy. I have placed a 120mm fan blowing to the card directly. Perfect temperatures on GPU.

Baby AT socket7 - Pentium MMX 233MHz + 3Dfx Voodoo
Socket 8 build - Soyo 6FA + Pentium Pro 200MHz + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB
PC Remake - Pentium III 450 + Matrox G400 16MB
The K6-III build