VOGONS

First post, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't help but ask the title question in the wake of today's egregiously-priced GeForce RTX 20x0 cards ($1200 for an RTX 2080 Ti where a Titan X would've been, only for the Titan V to go all the way to $3,000), the sudden spike in resale prices on old 3dfx cards, and people paying $600+ for Picasso IV RTG cards that only work at their fullest in Amiga 3000/4000 systems.

Professional cards are one thing (where we'd start looking at 3DLabs and SGI and all that, well beyond what was practical for home computing), but I still think back to a decade ago for consumer cards, where it seemed like $500 was all you needed to be top dog for gaming performance - first with the Radeon 9800 XT, then with the GeForce 6800 Ultra when NVIDIA came back swinging hard after the FX fiasco. My memory's too faint on cards before that point, though I'm pretty sure 3dfx never charged anywhere near $500. (Well, the Voodoo5 6000 may have been a different story had it made it to market...)

But now? $500 feels like mid-range at best.

Maybe it's just that the overall standard of performance has come a long way, kinda like with cars over the decades, but I can't help but feel miffed at how the generation of cards that I was hoping to replace my GTX 980 with is now so much more expensive than its predecessors that I'll have to hold off upgrading even longer than planned, all for the sake of VR performance that does not benefit at all from SLI/CrossFire for the most part.

Still, I wonder if we're paying more for GPUs now than we were a decade or two ago, even accounting for inflation. Anyone got any old PC parts ads/catalogues/etc.?

Last edited by NamelessPlayer on 2018-08-23, 14:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 24, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a bit of a tough spot to talk about prices, as the market's been so disrupted/distorted for some time now.

Demand for graphics hardware is still dictated by games, and games follow consoles that remain in an affordable range. They're definitely catering to a new market segment with this new halo stuff. The ultra high end is paying dearly for scaling resolutions & refresh rates up a little bit early.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 24, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

High end video cards for Nubus ERA 68K Macs were very expensive even without inflation (Rasterops 24STV was $1549 mailorder in august 1991 for example). Gaming cards didn't become a thing until 3dfx came around (and even then $300 was the top end), the expensive PC cards were all CAD cards and those were also expensive as hell.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NamelessPlayer wrote:

Still, I wonder if we're paying more for GPUs now than we were a decade or two ago, even accounting for inflation. Anyone got any old PC parts ads/catalogues/etc.?

We are. Just look at AMD Radeon 4850/4870 vs GTX 260/280 and later GTX 275/285. GTX 280 was actually considered bad value (as was the GTX 480 later), but justified because it held the performance crown.
I think things are ridiculous right now and I urge people to vote with their wallets on this matter.

Reply 6 of 24, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't really compare prices directly when value of money has decreased as time has passed.
R&D for making a new GPU has also gotten more expensive. If they spent 10 years trying to make raytracing to work, I am sure they want the money back that they spent on it.
I bet we will be paying $2000 for a graphics card in not too distant future.

Reply 7 of 24, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Miners are/have been paying oeuvre thousands of dollars in GPUs alone for a couple years now... though that's not a single GPU.

The new NVIDIA RTX2080 Ti starts at $1,000...

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8 of 24, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you think this is oeuvrepriced ?

Well the youtuber jayztwocents uploaded a video about this and he figured that the naming changed, not necessarily the pricing - i.e. that the former equally expensive Titan X as the top of the line card is now the 2080Ti and the 1080Ti the RTX2080 or something like that.
I don't know, I guess we have to wait and see how they perform and how retail prices develop.

Reply 9 of 24, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would have to do a comparison with inflation but I do think they have gone up quite a bit pricewise over the last few years.

But having said that, I do recall paying about $150 for my first Riva 128 and about the same for my first TNT as well. I do know I paid right at $200 for my Creative labs version of the first Geforce 256 card (3D Blaster Annihilator). Since then I think I've paid about $250 - $350 for my graphics cards. I paid $325 for my current GTX 1070 SC and it included ME: Andromeda with it. Felt that was a decent deal making the actual vid card only cost about $270 there abouts.

But I certainly have NO interest in paying the current prices that these new 20xx series cards are currently at. Doesn't matter as my aging primary computer can't really use them anyway. I'm not using the full power of my GTX1070 as is in my old z68 chipset Intel mainboard.

I'm willing to wait and will likely now be getting video cards when they are a full generation behind instead of being current as I feel that would be the only way I could really afford them going forward.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 10 of 24, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't game enough to justify dropping more than $300 on a GPU. The most I've ever paid was $250 a couple times.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 11 of 24, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
perkyagnostic wrote:

Well the youtuber jayztwocents uploaded a video about this and he figured that the naming changed, not necessarily the pricing

He is a complete and utter hypocrite and Nvidia shill. When AMD announced Vega 64 for $499 and it turned out the real MSRP was $599, he (rightfully so) called them out and said this: https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/899321447465623552
However, now that Nvidia is doing the exact same thing (the real prices are at least $100 over the announced "starting from" prices), he is quoting the fake prices and saying "you are looking at it wrong" and it's "technically cheaper than 10 series launch prices" while comparing completely different products (GTX 1080Ti vs. GTX 2080).

The way I'm looking at it, you're paying 60% more ($499 for GTX 1080 vs. $799 for GTX 2080) for at best a 40%-50% improvement (in games cherry picked by Nvidia). And then you have to consider that GTX 1080 is over two years old at this point (and yes, I realize the launch price was $599), which makes the whole situation even less impressive.

Raytracing probably is the way forward, but there is no doubt Nvidia is using the lack of competition to test how much consumers are willing to pay when they are "desperate" for performance improvements.

(As a disclaimer, I'm not interested in buying any of these cards. Finding an affordable Voodoo card would probably make me happier than buying a 2080Ti...)

Reply 12 of 24, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guess he isn't worth the...

(•_•) /
( •_•)>⌐■-■
/ (⌐■_■)

two cents.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 14 of 24, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GPU prices are related to the die size, and these are generally getting bigger for the flagship cards. So yes it is similar to cars, where a particular model becomes larger and more expensive over time and then a new low-end model is introduced.

Gamers are falling for the marketing trap where the fastest card is considered high end, right behind that is mid range, and everything else must be a budget card. So the manufacturers are going wild with high end stuff, putting out 500sq.mm dies and 512-bit buses. A Radeon 4870 was 256sq.mm and 256-bit so if you want to compare prices between then and now you should be looking at an RX 580, not an RX Vega.

That being said, an IBM EGA card cost nearly $600.

Reply 15 of 24, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Done chart, but it needs to be manually updated, so its kind of old....still many cards there. Ultra low prices are for mobile chips only per 10 000pcs. But you need to enable flash to view it....

http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/charts/price

Most expensive were profi cards in 90's and ofc highend non pc workstation cards for sgi and similar stuff. But finding prices is really hard and mostly impossible....

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 16 of 24, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In 1994 the VLB Mach64 2MB VRAM price was 599USD. 4MB VRAM version was 899USD and 2MB VRAM upgrade module was 399USD.

If we accunt for inflation we get 2018 prices here:
https://www.saving.org/inflation/inflation.php

599USD equals $1,012.81
899USD equals $1,520.06
399USD equals $674.64

Voodoo5 5500 AGP price was 299USD in 2000. This equals $439.44 in 2018.

PS:
On the other hand I just bought my fastest VGA card till now... GTX 660 TI for 42€ boxed 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 17 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote:

GPU prices are related to the die size, and these are generally getting bigger for the flagship cards. So yes it is similar to cars, where a particular model becomes larger and more expensive over time and then a new low-end model is introduced.

Gamers are falling for the marketing trap where the fastest card is considered high end, right behind that is mid range, and everything else must be a budget card. So the manufacturers are going wild with high end stuff, putting out 500sq.mm dies and 512-bit buses. A Radeon 4870 was 256sq.mm and 256-bit so if you want to compare prices between then and now you should be looking at an RX 580, not an RX Vega.

That being said, an IBM EGA card cost nearly $600.

Good point, but take a look at the transition from GTX 480/580 to GTX 680. The GTX 680 was a much smaller chip and they still charged 500$ for it. Same with GTX 980 and 1080.

Reply 18 of 24, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just let a buddy of mine do the high-end GPU buying, then buy his old stuff. He'll be selling me his "old" 1080Ti in a few weeks. Can't come soon enough...my poor GTX 970 is really struggling with newer games at 3440x1440.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 19 of 24, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't know about US$ prices, but did some research on that myself.

Looking into archives and price comparsion websites, picking some usual models of high end cards and how the prices developed.

proz.png
Filename
proz.png
File size
195.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
EUR.png
Filename
EUR.png
File size
168.41 KiB
Views
File license

At release nVidia cards are on average 163€ more than ATi/AMD cards, That shrinks down over the first year.
After said year cards are around 70% of the release price on average. (around 80% after 6 months and around 65% after 18 month)

change.png
Filename
change.png
File size
3.14 KiB
Views
File license

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1