VOGONS

VRAM to use as regular RAM?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What cards does Deluxe Paint support then? I have a few Tridents.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 21 of 26, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are dependencies:

0. compatible with amiga bridgeboard
1. 1MB Dram to get 1024x768 256MB
2. Win3.0 drivers (256colors)
3. clear and sharp image
4. centered image on tft in vga/svga/ega without recentering the tft.
5. native support in dpaint

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 22 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

Perhaps Win2x Driver with 256 Colors would be very cool.

Most Paradise or Western Digital cards may work with the 640x400 256col PVGA1A driver for Win 2.x.
It's available at Toasty's GUI Gallery Page, I recall. And it works with just 256KiB of VGA RAM.

Edit: Here's a related DOSBox video recorded with the Machine=Paradise setting (also tested it on real hardware). 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 26, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trident 9000 come with 512 KiB max, Trident 8900 are available in 1 MiB variants. Both are supported well by Windows 3.x. However the 8900 is more uncommon these days. Not sure why you want the high 256 color resolution though. I'll bet it won't be lots of fun: all older VGA cards might support 768 lines only in interlaced mode, or at weird screen refresh rates. Might give your TFT trouble. Also that resolution might be slow in Windows, due to the amount of data that needs to be drawn and moved around.
Also, check if the PVGA is supported by Deluxe Paint and your other software!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 25 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My father had a Trident 8900 in his 386DX40, too! Compatibility wise, I can't remember any issues.
He was using Win95 already, but I was alllowed to play my DOS and Win 3.x games on it (off-floppy).
So yes, personally, I fully agree that a Trident 8900 is a good choice! 😀

But beware, some models have different performance..
I remember 8900B/C/D, but don't remember which one was the best of them.

There are related threads at Vogons whith benchmarks, though.
Didn't Phil and others perform some of them some time ago ?

dr.zeissler wrote:

Thx, searching for a 1MB PVGA.

If you find a cheap WDC90Cxx, then that's also fine. It hasn't to be one of the the original models.
My Contura 486 laptop has a 90C31, I recall, and works pretty fine with that prehistoric driver in 2.03.
That chip also has Windows acceleration (in 3.1+) and is VESA capable (which revision ?).
Also, chances are bigger to find a WD model of 512KiB or 1MiB RAM with a more-than-256-colours RAMDAC.

Edit: Attached some screenshots of my copy of DP II..
Note: Thise are just sample settings. The first picture shows the screen format, not video mode.
Also, 800x600 @256 likely requires at least 512KiB of VRAM (stock PVGA1A/B has 256KiB, with expans. sockets for 512KiB).

Attachments

• dp_01.png
    Filename
    dp_01.png
    File size
    8.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • dp_02.png
    Filename
    dp_02.png
    File size
    6.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//