VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone tried GeForce 6600 and 6800 cards, which contain universal AGP connectors, in AGP 2x motherboards? What was the outcome? Can a 6800 really run at the higher voltages of AGP 2X and how is this accomplished? Is there something on the graphic card's PCB to step-down the voltage?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Various 6600GT (Sparkle, Galaxy, BFG, etc) - works fine.
Galaxy 7900GS - works fine.
ASUS 6800GT - works fine after removal of blank PCB part (mentioned here on Vogons).

Is there something on the graphic card's PCB to step-down the voltage?

I think this cards does not draw any power from AGP slot at all. Or perhaps only for PCI-E to AGP bridge, with everything else being powered directly from PSU. I've read somewhere that it has 3,3v support in specs.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 7, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Has anyone tried GeForce 6600 and 6800 cards, which contain universal AGP connectors, in AGP 2x motherboards? What was the outcome? Can a 6800 really run at the higher voltages of AGP 2X and how is this accomplished? Is there something on the graphic card's PCB to step-down the voltage?

Asus cards work when you 'saw' off the blank notch for connection to an Universal AGP slot or 2x slot e. g. 440BX boards with updated BIOS. See:

Re: Would this mod to this Geforce 6800 from AGP 1.5v to 3.3v kill it?

Thee graphics cards are designed to work with 3.3V signals, and the Asus 6800GT is Ultra spec, so you can run it cool and ramp up speed with Rivatuner if needed.

Reply 3 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure I understand. An AGP 3.0, 8x card is designed to work with 3.3 V signals? Or just the GeForce 6 series cards were designed to work with 3.3 V signals? I thought AGP 8x cards were designed to work with 0.8 and 1.5 V signals? Does using signals that are four times higher than AGP 3.0 spec cause the graphics chipset to heat up more than at 0.8 V?

Reply 5 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just thought I would chime in about an issue I experienced under Windows 98 SE with an i815EP based board and either a 6600 or a 6600GT .
The issue was either a complete system freeze or an extreme loss of speed (depending on driver version) while scrolling rapidly up or down in a browser (IE or Firefox) . I tried several driver versions (including official and unofficial ones) before giving up and switching to a Geforce 5900 instead, which has no such issues .

Reply 6 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall the exact same problem when using an PCI-based GeForce Quadro FX600. Only one alpha version of some Nvidia driver which was able to correct this issue. There was one later, non-alpha driver which worked, however the system would not soft reset. So I kept the alpha driver.

Reply 7 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nvidia drivers are notoriously problematic on a P3 systems after certain point.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.