VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone.

I was wondering, how are in terms of performance, compatibility, and Vogons' pro retro-geeks' general opinion the following video cards on PCI for Pentium1 systems, under MS-DOS 6.22, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, and related '90 to '97ish games/apps? (including, but not only, these are just examples, things like Sim City 2000, Mortal Kombat 1 and 2, Doom 1, 2, and 3, Duke Nukem 3D, etc.).

• S3 Vision968
• Number Nine Imagine 128
• Number Nine Imagine128 II

What about, for an ISA 486 DX2 66 system (same OS and software as above):
• S3 911 1MB
• Cirrus Logic GD5429 1MB
• Cirrus Logic GD5434 Diamond Speedstar 64
• Cirrus Logic GD5422 1 MB
• S3 924 1MB Diamond Stealth
• Orchid Peanut 256KB EGA/VGA (lol - just joking, I mean it really exists tho)
• S3 801 Diamond Stealth 24
• Elsa Winner 1000
• S3 924 4MB Elsa Winner 2000-4

Any info would help.
If possible, compatibility-ranking and performance-ranking for DOS 6.22 and for Win3.11 would be dreamy!

Thanks!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Pentium system any S3 will be fine - from Vision to Virge...

For ISA only system... the best for DOS is CL 5434 which is also very good in Windows. Best for Windows is ATi Mach64 VRAM but it's not that fast in DOS.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

For Pentium system any S3 will be fine - from Vision to Virge...

For ISA only system... the best for DOS is CL 5434 which is also very good in Windows. Best for Windows is ATi Mach64 VRAM but it's not that fast in DOS.

Wow thanks!

Reply 3 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S3 Vision968

- Good S3 Virge DX will be almost 50% faster in highres modes (Blood, Duke3D).
- Somewhat picky with modern monitors (image distortion).
- Slightly better image quality compared to Trio/Virge. Provided if your monitor won't go crazy with this card.
- Hard to expand memory due to rarity. 2mb usually is default.

Cool to have, not practical to use.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
- Good S3 Virge DX will be almost 50% faster in highres modes (Blood, Duke3D). - Somewhat picky with modern monitors (image dis […]
Show full quote

S3 Vision968

- Good S3 Virge DX will be almost 50% faster in highres modes (Blood, Duke3D).
- Somewhat picky with modern monitors (image distortion).
- Slightly better image quality compared to Trio/Virge. Provided if your monitor won't go crazy with this card.
- Hard to expand memory due to rarity. 2mb usually is default.

Cool to have, not practical to use.

great, thanks.

What about backwards compatibility of Virge DX?
I mean, playing an older software (say Sim City 2000 or Doom or whatever) that doesn't list Virge in the list of video cards, and selecting an older "S3" card, will it work?

Reply 5 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also (already replied here above ↑ but I forgot to ask this):

Monitors incompatibility with S3 Vision968... 19" LCDs apply too?

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 13, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote:

Also (already replied here above ↑ but I forgot to ask this):

Monitors incompatibility with S3 Vision968... 19" LCDs apply too?

Thanks!

For the most part, yes. On an incompatible monitor, you may notice lines on the screen. This is going by what I've heard about people using old ISA video cards with newer LCD monitors. It might depend on the brand and model of the monitor as I've also heard that not all LCD monitors suffer from this issue.

If anyone has more experience about this than I do, feel free to correct my understanding of this theory.

Reply 7 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's not what I meant. Image can be very unstable with noticeable waviness, I blame external IBM DAC.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know. I think IBM made pretty good quality DACs. Maybe the problem is the filters.

I know for fact that two cards based on CL GD5434 (Nitro64 and Speedstar64) have very different image quality despite the DAC being integrated. The Nitro64 produces a clean image, whereas the Speedstar64 has those annoying lines.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 13, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Number Nine cards use Cirrus Logic CL-GD5424 chips for DOS. You can check the performance of these chips in Phil's VGA Benchmark Database: Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 12 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

The Number Nine cards use Cirrus Logic CL-GD5424 chips for DOS. You can check the performance of these chips in Phil's VGA Benchmark Database: Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

Oh thank you!
That's smart, so they didn't have to re-write drivers for all DOS apps/games. But it's also a waste, not taking advantage of the at-that-time-monster GPU in DOS environment! Too bad.

Reply 13 of 13, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Necroposting as usual.

aries-mu wrote on 2018-09-07, 20:49:

That's smart, so they didn't have to re-write drivers for all DOS apps/games. But it's also a waste, not taking advantage of the at-that-time-monster GPU in DOS environment! Too bad.

It was designed for business, probably Windows 3.1 and Windows NT oriented with CAD and Photoshop in mind, that's why DOS part was not that important.

I have a question, btw, may be somebody knows. There is a socket on my board that looks just like ordinary VRAM SOJ on 512Kb. On some boards they have chip instead. Does it meant there were two versions of the card, one with 512Kb for DOS and possible extension and another one with 1MB already installed? It's located quite far from Cirrus Logic chip.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300