VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone.

There's an IT mystery and I'd like it solved.

I'm sure most of you at least once stumbled upon those mysterious and non-clearly specified "local bus" things, especially involving branded old computers.
For example, one of the most notorious "local bus" systems was that used by Compaq Computers to integrate VGA cards in the motherboards.

I'd like to finally "quantify" the bandwidth of this "thing" against the ISA bus.

So, the mobo's integrated VGA is Tseng ET4000w32 with 1 MB.

The logical course of action would be to test the same VGA in an ISA slot and compare differences (CPU is 486 DX2 66 Intel). Same system, all identical, just different "bus": ISA vs Compaq Local Bus.

Questions:

• Is there any software/benchmark that specifically tests the CPU ↔ VGA communication speed? Like literally throwing lots of data back and forth and measuring?
• Provided I can get an ISA ET4000w32: in order to test EVERYTHING (like Text, 2D, and 3D performance in both apps and games environments under both MS-DOS 6.xx and Win3.xx, every kind of possible type of operation or performance a Video Card can do), what utilities, software, benchmarks, and games should I use both under DOS and Win? Can you please suggest a list? Also, to test games performance, do I have to actually have the whole thing, or are there game-based test engines easier to run?
So far, the only tests I have are Test Landmark Speed under DOS (both 2.0 and 6.0) and WindSock under Windows 3.xx
• I know there are different sub-types/revisions/whatever of each ET4000. So, it isn't enough to have the same "chip" (like ET4000W32 both in ISA and local bus), but must also be the same subtype. How do I know all the specs and revisions of the integrated one so to get the same card but on ISA?
• I saw the only few ISA ET4000w32 cards available on the web are super expensive! I just need to test the speeds. Does anybody of you own one such a card that I can borrow (shipping on me), run the tests, and ship back?

Any impression, suggestion, further idea, comment?

Finally, if I won't find an ISA ET4000W32 card, how can I test the performance of my W32 very thoroughly so that then I can compare the numbers with other tests run by other people on other cards?

Thanks!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 2 of 7, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lvF9n … wpNU/edit#gid=0

Good place to start and all the benchmarks are downloadable as a single file to use.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3 of 7, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lvF9n … wpNU/edit#gid=0

Good place to start and all the benchmarks are downloadable as a single file to use.

Wow thanks so much!

Reply 4 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is later than the time period you asked for, but I remember a video performance test being included with WinBench 99. It tests GDI performance pretty thoroughly, not sure if it goes beyond that.

Reply 5 of 7, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

This is later than the time period you asked for, but I remember a video performance test being included with WinBench 99. It tests GDI performance pretty thoroughly, not sure if it goes beyond that.

Thanks! I'll note that

Reply 6 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Measuring GDI speed under Win 3.x :
Best PCI VGA card for Windows 3.11 performance?
Windows 3.1 & NT Benchmark Programs

😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Measuring GDI speed under Win 3.x : Best PCI VGA card for Windows 3.11 performance? Windows 3.1 & NT Benchmark Programs […]
Show full quote

Measuring GDI speed under Win 3.x :
Best PCI VGA card for Windows 3.11 performance?
Windows 3.1 & NT Benchmark Programs

😀

Thank you SO MUCH Jo!!!! 😀