VOGONS

First post, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a LCD that has developed a vertical green bar. The screen is a 19" inch Philips with 1600x1200 and otherwise has an amazing picture. The monitor also has a no stretch/scale mode and is great for retro stuff. I don't want to just dump it.

The problem is that the electrical bonding adhesive on one of the ribbon cables is not doing its job anymore. The cable looks like it is attached to the PCB well, but if I press firmly, with a plastic screwdriver, the green bar goes away. After that, it will work for a few hours before the green bar returns.

I saw a few videos on Youtube, and it looks like you need an expensive machine to do the bonding. Has anyone here succeeded doing a DIY bonding repair?

Attachments

• phil_800.jpg
    Filename
    phil_800.jpg
    File size
    82.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have fixed such problems the McGyver way - wedging something between the connection and the frame to exert enough pressure to make the display work correctly.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 2 of 2, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried putting some pressure on it, but there is a lot of space between the cover and the ribbon. Plus the cover is thin flexible metal. That trick just won't work with this monitor.

I'm going to heat the ribbon while applying pressure to see if I can reactivate the adhesive.