VOGONS

First post, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have a Techworks Power 3D Voodoo 1 4MB card. I bought it to use with my Pentium III 450Mhz retro setup. Unfortunately I CANNOT get any games to run with it!! It's detected fine by Windows 98, and installing any driver goes without a hitch. No errors or anything. But whatever game I try to run simply refuses to work. Quake III Arena detects the card but fails. Quake II is the same. As is Dark Omen and various other games. I've tried following advice such as reinstalling Windows, then installing DirectX6, then installing the Diamond Monster 3D 1.08 drivers. Absolutely NOTHING seems to trigger the card into working!!

Anyone have an ideas??

Thanks! 😀

Last edited by AtTheGates on 2018-09-10, 07:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Why are you trying to install DirectX 5 on Win98? 98 ships with 6 minimum. Also Q3 would only work with the driver found in vg-w9x-q3.exe

Hi,
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant DX6. I just tried that driver, and games still won't boot. Quake III still has the same issue. It detects the Voodoo, attempts to boot 3dfxogl/vgl.dll, and then craps out with:

"Making Content Current: Failed
Failed hard"

That's in the Quake III startup console, and it says it cannot load the OpenGL subsystem. I'm stumped!! 😵

Reply 3 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Don't play Q3 with a V1, this will be a dissapointment.
2. I did lot's of testing and the v1 is in fact cpu-speed-sensitive. Your CPU is too fast and so there will be problems in D3D/ogl but not in native glide.
3. I think the best option was the 1998 driver from 3dfx. It had less problems. Most things were fine with it.
4. I also recommend that you use 15" TFT (1024x768) and use 512x384 as playing resolution. It gives you MUCH! more speed then 640x480 and does not look any worse.
5. Win98se with DX6.1 should be fine and DX7 should also be no problem.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 4 of 10, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:
1. Don't play Q3 with a V1, this will be a dissapointment. 2. I did lot's of testing and the v1 is in fact cpu-speed-sensitive. […]
Show full quote

1. Don't play Q3 with a V1, this will be a dissapointment.
2. I did lot's of testing and the v1 is in fact cpu-speed-sensitive. Your CPU is too fast and so there will be problems in D3D/ogl but not in native glide.
3. I think the best option was the 1998 driver from 3dfx. It had less problems. Most things were fine with it.
4. I also recommend that you use 15" TFT (1024x768) and use 512x384 as playing resolution. It gives you MUCH! more speed then 640x480 and does not look any worse.
5. Win98se with DX6.1 should be fine and DX7 should also be no problem.

Doc

1. I'm aware it won't be the fastest. However, after watching YouTube videos of similar setups it seems to run surprsingly well at 640x480.
2. I've seen people running Quake III Arena with a Voodoo 1 and much faster P III (1Ghz!!).
3. I've tried multiple drivers. Absolutely nothing will boot. The card is detected, the drivers install just fine, the card is in perfect shape, but no game will run.
4. I'm using a 15 inch LCD @ 1024x768.
5. Win98 SE with DirectX 7 is exactly what I'm using. Quake III still crashes with the failed hard thing and saying it can't find a pixel format.

Last edited by AtTheGates on 2018-09-10, 08:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote:

Try a DOS game to rule out the possibility of a Windows-related problem.

I've tried the DOS 3DFX Tomb Raider demo, and the various other 3DFX tech demos. Same issue. Literally nothing will run.

Reply 7 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ogl glide/wrappers will mostly be fine, even on faster systems. D3D is defentive problematic with v1 on faster >300mhz.
change the pci-slot.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 9 of 10, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Why are you trying to install DirectX 5 on Win98? 98 ships with 6 minimum. Also Q3 would only work with the driver found in vg-w9x-q3.exe

I don't mean to be the sort of person who corrects things out of habit, but Windows 98 First Edition came with DirectX 5 (either 5.1 or 5.2?). Windows 98 Second Edition did come with DirectX 6, so you seem to have left out a little often forgotten family member here. 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

I don't mean to be the sort of person who corrects things out of habit, but Windows 98 First Edition came with DirectX 5 (either 5.1 or 5.2?). Windows 98 Second Edition did come with DirectX 6, so you seem to have left out a little often forgotten family member here. 😀

They were correct though, as I'm using 98 SE!