VOGONS

First post, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These cards seem to be pretty obscure and rarely mentioned when it comes to retro PC stuff. I've found them to be a pretty solid choice for retro builds (with the latest drivers!!). Good 2D performance. Decent 3D performance for a 1997 chip. Decent drivers unlike S3/ATI/etc from the same period. Only game I''ve found any kinda issue with is Quake III Arena. That has odd issues with shadows and bullet decals.

So yeah, thoughts? I have both the 4 and 8MB versions, and the 8MB tends to be quite a lot faster!

Last edited by AtTheGates on 2018-09-11, 12:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 40, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No interesting features and very slow. Only for various tests or to suffer while playing games. Although suffering ia an authentic part of late 90s 3D experience.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 40, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

No interesting features and very slow. Only for various tests or to suffer while playing games. Although suffering ia an authentic part of late 90s 3D experience.

The performance scales pretty well with faster CPUs. The 8MB version is quite a bit faster than the 4MB, and the drivers are pretty solid. Definitely better than crap like the Virge 🤣.

Last edited by AtTheGates on 2018-09-11, 12:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 40, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 8MB version is quite a bit faster the 4MB, and the drivers are pretty solid.

It can't play even GLQuake at 640x480 smoothly, so it's kinda irrelevant.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 40, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think Parhelia is a bit more interesting. Just got a G650, I know it's the bottom of the lineup but it's the first I saw in 2 years of collecting.

Reply 8 of 40, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elod wrote:

I think Parhelia is a bit more interesting. Just got a G650, I know it's the bottom of the lineup but it's the first I saw in 2 years of collecting.

Do you mean P650 or something slipped under my radar?

Reply 9 of 40, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

The 8MB version is quite a bit faster the 4MB, and the drivers are pretty solid.

It can't play even GLQuake at 640x480 smoothly, so it's kinda irrelevant.

Er, yes it can. It can run Quake III Arena ok-ish with low to medium settings @ 640x480. Like I said, it seems to scale pretty well with faster CPUs!

Reply 10 of 40, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:

Bit of a jump from a 1997 Permedia 2 to a 2002 Parhelia! 😜

I haven't ever used any Matrox stuff though. I'll have to get a G4xx card to try out!

Reply 11 of 40, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I could give thoughts on the Permedia2. I really wish that. I have one but it doesn't work. 🙁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14 of 40, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They're alright... IIRC they came with some IBM Intellistations. They were entry level workstation class cards.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 16 of 40, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vvbee wrote:

Faster than the matrox g100 office card that came out the year after. But rougher image quality.

Can't say I see any issues with image quality. Pooks good, and the drivers hold up quite nicely.

Reply 17 of 40, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks ok, until you compare it against something that looks better. It's a heavy-dithering card. Higher-precision 3d geometry than the g100 though, but the g100 in that sense may be more like the '96 mystique.

Reply 18 of 40, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 2 of these cards. I read some bad reviews about them online, so I have been considering throwing them away to have bit more space.
One of them is Compaq ELSA gloria+ and it has some kind of empty memory slot and the other one seems to be made by STB systems in 1998.

Permedia2.jpg
Filename
Permedia2.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 40, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

I have 2 of these cards. I read some bad reviews about them online, so I have been considering throwing them away to have bit more space.
One of them is Compaq ELSA gloria+ and it has some kind of empty memory slot and the other one seems to be made by STB systems in 1998.

Permedia2.jpg

We don't need more e-waste!! 😒
Sell on eBay instead!"

As a Voodoo 1 class chip it holds up much better than people give it credit for. It has solid DirectX and OpenGL drivers (no Voodoo-esque headaches of the right driver for the right game). Performance is solid, and scales well with faster CPUs (no Voodoo 1 nonsense of refusing to work). And it has great 2D support onboard.

Give them a try before doing anything. You may be surprised.