VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm trying to figure out which card i want to run in my 5170. I also own the IBM EGA adapter, which is technically the CORRECT card to run, but mine is experiencing some issues at the moment.

out of all of these,which is the best in regards to features, compatibility, and performance?

- AST 3G Plus II
- Everex EV-659A
- Paradise PEGA 1A
- Genoa Super EGA 4880
- Video 7 Vega

Right now I'm leaning towards the Genoa because it'll do 800x600x16 (i have an NEC Multisync II monitor) and i don't think any of the other ones will.

20180911_214529.jpg
Filename
20180911_214529.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 1 of 4, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think none of us here has such a large collection. So why don't you run some benchmarks yourself and tell us, which performs best? 😀 Would love to read a writeup on speeds, compatibility (games, monitors, Windows 3.x)...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 4, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

excellent suggestion. My memory is a bit fuzzy. Did anyone even make any serious benchmarking software for CGA/EGA?

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 3 of 4, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For VGA I am using Dr Hardware for quick benchmarking. Should work with EGA as well, I guess...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also managed to acquire some 6 EGA cards last year, the fastest were the Paradise PEGA2A and an ATI EGA Wonder 800 - these were also the most compatible in my gaming tests.

48TWqIQl.jpg

ydRVbjYl.jpg

this was the 3rd best choice

p5cofAVl.jpg

and these 2 where OK but nothing to brag about

mkpiLsEl.jpg

vT4v0Uhl.jpg

the worst one for me was this TEVA card, too many hard lock-ups. I replaced the 74 series logic but did not improve things - actually the same as the TEVA above so maybe something is wrong with the main ICs

9gg0Eoel.jpg

The fastest card was this OTI EGA/VGA one but even when jumpered to EGA-only some games insisted to detect it as VGA and either produced a garbage screen or locked up....

deaMbaol.jpg

I haven't done any benchmarks , I just judge from Keen4 and Dangerous Dave's Risky Rescue scrolling speed + compatibility with EGA titles with Multisync monitors.

None of the EGA cards above have win3x drivers that support more than 640x350 - even the ones that do 800x600 only do it in win2x - or at least I did not find a way to do that in win3x . There was a thread by predator99 with some program to make the good cards work in vga 16 colors mode but nothing worked reliably for me.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website