VOGONS

First post, by giladvdn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm new here (first post) so I'm probably going to make a bunch of rule and etiquette mistakes. I apologize in advance and please correct me if I do 😀

Now, to my story/question:
I'm building my first retro PC ever. I was born in 1986 and my first PC was a 486DX2-66, but I've decided to go for something a little more modern so that I can play DOS and Windows games from the early 90's (like Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Crystal Caves) all the way up to early CDROM games (like Rayman, Red Alert and StarCraft). I ended up getting a Pentium MMX 233MHz machine (an old Compaq Presario) with a 6x Creative CDROM and a SoundBlaster 16 (CT-2940 with the Yamaha FM chip), and I'm hoping to have some fun with it.

What I'm having some trouble with is deciding on and sourcing a monitor. I'm split between a few options:
1. "Era-appropriate" CRT: So a CRT from somewhere in the 90's up to, say, 1998. This would be the most authentic/nostalgic choice but finding CRTs is hard, and finding high quality CRTs in good condition is even harder.
2. "Best possible" CRT: which would be the highest quality CRT I can get, even if it's a later model. This would be a bonus for image quality but less authentic. These might be easier to find but still tough.
3. XGA (1024x768) LCD: Less period-appropriate (these would be from like 2002) and still hard to find, but are more convenient. Downside would be that LCD scaling is not great. Also, while 1280x1024 LCDs are plentiful, I'm wary of the 5:4 aspect ratio.

So far I've been able to source an old SGI CRT. It's a 21" Sony Trinitron tube but after installing it, opening it up and adjusting it, I'm finding myself torn because these old CRTs are so much darker, full of glare, and less sharp than what I'm used to day to day (which is an IPS display, either on my Macbook Pro 15" or my 4K 27" Dell model).

My question:
What do you think I should do? Should I continue to try and find CRTs, hoping for a good model? Maybe try and find an elusive 1024x768 LCD and deal with the downscaling? Any other idea?

I'd very much appreciate some sage wisdom here.
Thank you!!

EDIT: forgot to mention, one challenge is that I live outside the US and Europe so finding good quality older monitors of any type is very difficult. There isn't really a scene here and I'm mostly relying on the local equivalent of Craigslist for people who just want someone to pick up older monitors as an alternative to junking them.

Reply 1 of 8, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome aboard, mate. I use a 20" Dell 2007fpb 1600x1200 LCD display for my retro stuff... it has DVI, VGA, and composite. Scales well for lower resolutions. As for CRTs, usually Trinitrons were very high quality... if you can source one of the Sony or Dell variants, you'd be in good shape. Also, pics of your Presario?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 8, by giladvdn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply 😀

I might not be able to get that specific with the models, but if I'm flexible, then a 1600x1200 IPS LCD is something I may be able to get my hands on.
The SGI I have actually does have a Sony Trinitron tube in it, but I'm not sure how much I like the quality. It's like so muted and unsharp (and I even opened it up to adjust the focus knobs, it's as good as it gets with this one).

I'm still setting everything up. I'll get those pics up when it's ready 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mitsubishi Diamondtron is a good option too. Fairly common too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

I use a 20" Dell 2007fpb 1600x1200 LCD display for my retro stuff.

I second oeuvre's recommendation of the Dell 2007fpb LCD. It has worked great with everything I've thrown at it.

If you try it buy a Dell 2007fpb, be weary of the Dell 2007wfp (widescreen LCD that is very simular). Some sellers get those two models confused.

Reply 6 of 8, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

You can usually tell, the wfp is wider.

Yes, and that is how I was able to tell I was sent the wrong monitor as soon as I opened the box. Luckily the seller was professional and did a quick exchange for the correct model.

Reply 7 of 8, by giladvdn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I ended up getting super lucky and I found a 2007FPb locally. Super happy about it. The picture quality is night and day compared to the CRT I have. Thanks for the advice everyone 😀 I'm still on the lookout for a quality CRT though, maybe I can switch between the two until I decide what's better for my needs.