VOGONS

First post, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello folks, wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share on hardware that generates a lot of interrupts...let me explain that better.

I just picked up an old Shutle computer with P4 (Northwood) 2.8GHz and an AGP HD4650 (XFX with DDR2). It was originally running Windows 7 but I changed out the hard disk and installed Windows XP. I struggled to find drivers for the Radeon that would work. The drivers from the AMD site don't detect the card, but I read forum posts that suggested manually selecting a driver through Device manager once the AMD drivers had been unpacked. This worked and the card seemed to run normally with all resolutions now available.

However I soon noticed that I had really high CPU usage (about 70% to 80%), and no processes in Task Manager seemed to be causing them. I downloaded Process Explorer and sure enough it was almost entirely "Hardware Interrupts" eating the CPU, and it did seem to be causing real slowdown of the system. I've seen this sort of thing before, not sure exactly when or where, but enough to suspect "interrupts" and to check with Process Explorer. Before when this happened with an old machine I narrowed it down to using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and using USB ones instead made the problem go away. . . but that didn't help this time. What made the sky-high interrupts go away was removing the Radeon 4650.

I'm not sure if Windows 7 had the same issue. I'd like to verify if the card is working properly so I may try it again with the Windows 7 installation the machine came with. But as for XP, any ideas what's happening? Is this an issue that will go away once a "good" driver is installed for the card, or is it perhaps a Windows XP issue? Perhaps it doesn't like the PC it's in, but another machine will not suffer the same interrupt hell, with XP or 7 . . . I can/will try these things, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 7, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What kind of motherboard is it? I'm presuming it's some kind of Shuttle OEM thingy. What is the chipset? Is there a BIOS update?
I used an AGP HD4650 normally with a Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott (socket 478, 865PE chipset, Intel D865PERL motherboard) on Windows XP SP3.

I'm pretty sure I installed the driver using Snappy Driver Installer. I know this program might seem like some Russian spyware, but it has worked for me 99% of the time and it's free and supposedly open-source.
The only weakness is that is uses P2P so driver pack downloads can be slow. Also, by default you will be "seeding" (uploading) your files to other users, so that's worth keeping in mind.

Maybe there is some kind of AGP setting in the BIOS that could resolve this?
I don't think it's a problem with Windows XP, it's either a driver issue or hardware incompatibility. Maybe it's because of the bridge chip?

Reply 2 of 7, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've fixed the problem it seems. Eventually Google lead me to a forum post about similar issues and one response was disabling the High Definition Audio Device on-board the card. Although my card doesn't have HDMI and didn't show a High Definition Audio Device in Device Manager, I found that if I disable System Devices->Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio then the interrupts instantly stop . . . and if I re-enable it they come straight back. So, off it goes, job done it seems. Card is performing great =)

Reply 3 of 7, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same problem with a 3850 AGP a few years ago when I was trying to use it with my PIII-S. I was trying to find out why it was doing so poorly in benchmarks and eventually noticed that 25% of the CPU was being eaten by hardware interrupts. I just assumed that my motherboard didn't like the bridge chip and sold the card.

If only I'd come across a thread like this a few years ago... 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 4 of 7, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Turned out it was not quite as simple as disabling the UAA Bus Driver. Disabling or uninstalling it does fix the problem, but Windows helpfully re-installs and re-enables it for you on every boot and the problem is right back. I then came across a further bunch of forum threads asking how to stop Windows doing this for you, with no solution.

I found if you update the driver for the UAA Bus Driver to some other completely wrong drivers then it doesn't work and Windows can't undo it for you. It's a stupid fix but it works.

Reply 5 of 7, by rod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Workaround that fixed the issue on both VisionTek's ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256MB and ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB AGP Graphics Cards on Windows XP SP3:
1) Backup c:\Windows\System32\drivers\hdaudbus.sys file
2) Rename the original file to hdaudbus.old
3) Disable "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition audio" in device manager
4) Reboot

Reply 6 of 7, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WildW,

Thank you for starting this thread. I have a 3650 with similar issues. I also found that disabling "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition audio" fixes problems. Now that you mentioned it, I notice that mine keeps getting re-enabled as well.

Man, I hate this card. I tried giving it away to Phil, but he didn't want it either citing similar issues with other 3650s. I can't even give this turd away for free.

Reply 7 of 7, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had some similar symptoms (video driver eating up CPU time and memory, screen going blank momentarily) with a Radeon 4550. The problem turned out to be the video card settings were on CLONE but with only one monitor connected. If I connected two monitors then there was no problem. Or I had to make sure that the correct monitor was set to PRIMARY, and then switch back to single display mode.

@KT7AGuy, I'd be glad to take that card off your hands, or maybe you'd like to trade for something...

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad