VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to replate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecoxUwzyc0Q

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That video demonstrates plating over an existing pad. In my case, the pad is gone entirely. Will the plating alone adhere to the fiberglass PCB and lay flat?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 29, by flecom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you could remove a bit of copper groundplane from another board and try and make a new pad... the heat from resoldering might be enough to tack it down

check out this youtube video to get an idea of repair... go to about 12:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX8rJtpTTVk

Reply 23 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It wasn't entirely clear to me how that guy got the copper to stick to the PCB. It sounded to me as if there was a via under the pad and that he was able to get solder melted under the pad, though I'm not entirely sure.

I sent the seller of the red MSI card photos of the damage, but he didn't respond to me. Another case of eBay trickery? What was really unusual with this purchase is that the MSI card came in a silver anti-static bag, which was completely sealed with tape like nobody's business. Inside the anti-static bag with the card was a brown beetle, about the size of a dime. I cannot image this was deliberate, but who knows 'eh? I was wondering if the beetle was eating away at the pad. I mean, the beetle was trapped in this bag for over a week.

Reply 24 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what I've done so far. I removed a pad from a dead Matrox G200. It took a few tries. I then JB welded it onto the MSI NX6800GT, using a piece of tape to keep it in place. Then I clamped it with a C-clamp and some 3/8" rubber pads. I wrapped the AGP connector with a piece of printer paper (white) so that the dirty rubber doesn't stain the AGP connector. I hardly used any JB weld, otherwise it would have spread too far. Overall, this task consumed 90 minutes, though it felt like 3 hours. I'll find out in 24 hours if it worked. Then I'll solder the replacement pad to the broken trace.

MSI_NX6800GT_Pad_Replacement_1.jpg
Filename
MSI_NX6800GT_Pad_Replacement_1.jpg
File size
152.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
MSI_NX6800GT_Pad_Replacement_2.jpg
Filename
MSI_NX6800GT_Pad_Replacement_2.jpg
File size
162.2 KiB
Views
File license
MSI_NX6800GT_Pad_Replacement_3.jpg
Filename
MSI_NX6800GT_Pad_Replacement_3.jpg
File size
244.54 KiB
Views
File license
MSI_NX6800GT_Pad_Replacement_4.jpg
Filename
MSI_NX6800GT_Pad_Replacement_4.jpg
File size
238.54 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 25 of 29, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, i love your skills! Even if the card doesn't work i bet you already had more fun with that 6800 than i have with my working ones 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 26 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The red PCB card is the working one. The green one did not. The green one was 6800 Ultra. I took the heavy copper heatsink from the green PCB and used it on the red PCB, which is where it originally belongs. I'm hoping to make a complete boxed set for an MSI NX6800GT. Its of much less value with a missing AGP pad. I'm hoping the repair will be fairly authentic looking. Its only a ground pin and isn't need for functionality.

Reply 27 of 29, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, i missed the part about the fact that the card was working without that pad, thanks.

Still very nice to see the fix, knowing that (and how) this can be done might still become useful one day..

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 28 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. The pad may come right off after I remove the tape holding it in place. It was also pretty tricky removing the donor pads. The pads are paper thin. It might be easier to use copper tape, however, then you don't get the gold plating.

Reply 29 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached are the results. The pad isn't quite as flat as the photos indicate. If you hold the card into the light and look at the pads, you can definitely tell that one pad has different angles of reflection, overall I'm satisfied. I couldn't get the donor pad to be completely flat.

Also, the solder blob wasn't entirely necessary as the donor pad was touching the trace, but soldering it dropped the [power-off] resistance from 2.8 ohms to 0.8 ohms. The photos make the solder blob look larger than it is. With the naked eye, I don't even see the blob. The fix is mostly for optics as the card worked without this particular ground pin being connected.

Just curious - if you were looking to buy a boxed, used, MSI NX6800GT, how much less would you pay for an item which as been repaired like this? Keep in mind, though, that the fan appears to be new. Not a speck of dust and it is quiet. Item is not for sale, just curious if the efforts are of any value.

Fixed_NX6800GT_01.jpg
Filename
Fixed_NX6800GT_01.jpg
File size
450.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fixed_NX6800GT_02.jpg
Filename
Fixed_NX6800GT_02.jpg
File size
439.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fixed_NX6800GT_03.jpg
Filename
Fixed_NX6800GT_03.jpg
File size
389.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fixed_NX6800GT_04.jpg
Filename
Fixed_NX6800GT_04.jpg
File size
344.36 KiB
Views
File license