VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hell ou,
its somewhere list of Dos games with high resolution support? => NO.
It would be nice to try them with today fast retro hardware, or at least know which game would not work on no Vesa cards for best possible visual experience.

I would define high resolution as anything 640x400/480x256 (original target was target 800x600x256 but list of games was very short) and higher, it is known as Vesa standard. On
800x600 is interesting that is not using pixel interpolation (but for 1 pixel there are simply 4 pixels) on 1600x1200 monitors which are quite common.

List:
link
My guess than result near final would be around 600-700 games, im counting only commercial games, what is missing:
- games which are not on Mobygames
- 50-100 games which have not on Mobygames Dos version screenshots

If list is not exist you can just report game name and their highest possible resolution and we can make a list..
- Other thing which is interesting for me and never did it is how to use some Vesa enhancers to enable some Vesa modest on some videocards which are not otherwise supporting it.. For example i have problem with a lots of modern cards which lots of memory with Q2DOS and 1600x1200 for lots only 1280x1024 its available and its 5:4 resolution, so not big deal either.

Someone could argue, where are advantages or comparison to Mobygames where is Vesa filter too, my arguments:
- there are mixed list for DOS and Windows and even Amiga and other consoles
- some game have Vesa possiblity only in Windows, or simply its wrongly reported as Vesa,because graphics look nice, i really check all screenshot resolution
- to browse of Mobygames list is lots of clicking because of site structure with my list you just could scroll up and down to see all games
- we have collumn for max resolution for games and can sort by it
- we can add game release year / genre / average reviews points in one view and sort by it - all in one 1 view
- we still can still can add link feature to first column game name to open Moby Games detail
- my list is much more portable, you can print it to PDF, save as *.csv; txt for offline use, or use it right in DOS booted machine

Disadvantages:
- when someone add new Dos picture to Mobygames, our list would be outdated. In theory, i can make some Jmeter script (its much faster to do it on HTTP level, not on GUI with Selenium a similar tools) to extract game names from Mobygames and compare it with my list to got Delta.. to check it manually.. or add functionally to script and check if some picture in category are have lenght 640+ or not.. I was lazy to do it, because i already have enough scripting in my life, but its doable.

I dont have problem to give you at least comment rights to suggest some editing.. if you are proven Vogons member i will give up editing rights too.

Performance discussion, i already have some thread and results are pretty wild:
Old+Modern videocards pure DOS benchmarking- which one is fastest?, need your numbers + analysis, 320x200 to 1600x1200! => results here: https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … c62b9&mode=html

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-11-18, 15:32. Edited 15 times in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Off the top of my head:
All the Build games after 1995 (up to 1600x1200 - at least!)
Quake (up to 1280x1024)
Jane's US Navy Fighters & Advanced Tactical Fighters (up to 1024x768)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, here is link for sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qKTVV … dit?usp=sharing

Im not sure about Build all games, need they some patch, config editing or some special hotkey for resolution settings? Becuase i tried now them in Dosbox with S3 SVGA 4MB settings and for example PowerSlave shows in setup only 640x480 and Duke3D only 800x600. Witchhavens are Build games too regarding of wikipedia, i dont remember that they would have so high resolution possibility..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What the setup program lists doesn't matter. Bump it up in the .cfg file instead. Games after 1995 only

Powerslave uses an older build engine actually (more early 95ish) so that's probably the only exception from the "after 1995" rule and maybe Witchaven 2 too

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Duke3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior support any VESA 256 color resolution your card offers, just have to manually edit the config file.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, im giving up, i though that list would be much longer, so lets change SCOPE it to VESA (640X480X256+).

Reply 7 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

This DOS + Windows list together.

Reply 9 of 20, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Descent: later versions support 640x480 with the -640x480 switch.
Transport Tycoon: 640x480
Transport Tycoon Deluxe: 640x480
Speed Haste: 640x480

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Why, remind me to never reply to your list threads again

I already explained it, list was to short, i expected that there would be much games. Regardless, there is still resolution column so you can filter only 800x600+ games and have best of both worlds - win / win solution.

I really dont understand this melodramatic reaction, with big font and big words as never, i adjusted the scope - what the sin.. it seems to be childish.

Reply 13 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willow wrote:

There are lots of 640x480x256 dos game. The list will be long.

Its just copy / paste, its not too much work to do it for few hundreds items, if people would keep to report the data... or someone really devoted could use Windows + DOS list from Moby games above and one by one filter the DOS games.. or simply as me check its game collection and list games which are high res.
List not need to be so ultimate as every second article on forum 😀 If most common high res games would listed its good start.

Reply 14 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added ~40 games to list, if you have them installed, played them, or want to mess with demo versions and are you able to check max. resolution report it pleas, i can only confirm from screenshots that game support at least 640x480.

Reply 15 of 20, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where is Warcraft 2 ?

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 16 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote:

Where is Warcraft 2 ?

For now row 118 as Warcraft II.

Reply 17 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for compiling this list. I think it's cool. One comment: I believe Gabriel Knight I is only 640x480 in the static storyboard screens. Gameplay screens are VGA only. Maybe make a note of that.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 18 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Thanks for compiling this list. I think it's cool. One comment: I believe Gabriel Knight I is only 640x480 in the static storyboard screens. Gameplay screens are VGA only. Maybe make a note of that.

Im not sure about it, i thing that is difference between cd and floppy version, as far as i remember even top screen control panel looks hires with CD-Version and there is speech too. I have only floppy version.

Reply 19 of 20, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added more games we are now at ~500, i thing that final number would be around 600-700.