Video Card from Hell

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:

The only GPU's I have ever heard of combusting in some manner have ALL been EVGA. They have shite VRM's, which are far more sensitive to mediocre PSU's.

Nah, this was because early on in the 10 series' life cycle, they didn't cool the VRMs good enough, resulting in them setting on fire sometimes. This was fixed pretty quickly after it was first reported on.

Last edited by MrEWhite on 2018-10-12, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 24, by realoldguy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

My laptop from 2012 when I bought it brand new for college is going slower than normal

6 years old, not 2 years as stated above. I mean things fail and die eventually. This was true in the 80's and 90's already I guess.

Reply 22 of 24, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

... It still has the Celeron B820 which isn't Windows 10 friendly. ...

It seems like these were not produced in BGA format; only in socket G2. For that reason it might be worth trying to upgrade it to a faster Sandy Bridge socket G2 part, such as the i3-2330M or i5-2540M. Naturally this won't fix (in fact it will exacerbate) your battery issues, though...

Reply 23 of 24, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My main PC is from 2012 and upgraded a little bit.
ASUS P8Z77-M
Intel Core i5 3570K
8 GB DDR3 1600 from Patriot( i don't recall the CL)
Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970 OC
Corsair CX550M
Running and gaming everyday since i bought, only turning off when i sleep.
The only time that it failed was when my 550 TI from EVGA suddenly stopped, nothing spetacular, just a quiet death, froze up, and wouldn't post with the card inserted(that's when i bought the 970)
On my Core2Duo computer i had a thermaltake PSU exploding but never a video card 😲