VOGONS

First post, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!!

I am looking for info and benchmarks about those companies but I only can get the drivers... can someone say me anything about this?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a laptop with NeoMagic MagicGraph 256 chipset. It sucks. Let me repeat that. S-U-C-K-S. It has problems even refreshing the desktop in Win98. Sometimes it takes it 2 minutes to do that. I tried WinXP on that laptop, and it sucked even more. It can barely render the 2D desktop at all. Forget about any 3D.
It uses system memory and it's probably bottlenecked by it - and slows down the whole machine because of that. I'm using the maximum amount of memory at the highest speed grade that the system supports, and it still doesn't help.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Something must be faulty with your laptop then. NeoMagic chips were the fastest 2D chips ever made for notebooks. They are 2D *only* however with absolutely no 3D functions.

Oh it works fine in pure DOS, but put any sort of Windows on it and it sucks. I tried many drivers both in 98 and XP, none makes it even remotely tolerable.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have DOS benchmarks of the ArkLogic 2000 PCI. See the link in my signature for the thread.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Something must be faulty with your laptop then. NeoMagic chips were the fastest 2D chips ever made for notebooks. They are 2D *only* however with absolutely no 3D functions.

I remember using this gpu on one of those old Sony netbook back in the 2006 and I remember (but I could be wrong) there were discussions/opinions about some sort of 3D capabilities but never ever found drivers or any info on that. Back than I was really hoping to test 3D games on it beside software rendering but no way.