VOGONS

First post, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a chance to buy this video card in the box and sealed it for about 40 dollars.
Is a good card to cover XP era games ?
I gonna use Sempron 145 (AM3, 2.8ghz, single core) for my future XP rig.
The main objective is cover XP games until 2005.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 1 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why skimp on the CPU for XP.

Single core with XP is gouge your eyes out with a rusty spoon agonizingly painful.

1GB of RAM ios also the bare minimum I will run XP with.

As for the 3850, it should be good for games up to 2005. It was released in 2007.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 12, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every Sempron 145 can be unlocked to a Athlon dual core with a motherboard with an unlocker bios. So pretty much any aftermarket am3/+ board

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The main objective is cover XP games until 2005.

GeForce GTX 280.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 12, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Single core with XP is gouge your eyes out with a rusty spoon agonizingly painful.

Dual-core CPUs weren't around when XP came out and I haven't seen it run slow on any of my XP-era single core PCs, so what makes you think that?

Reply 5 of 12, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dual Cores in 2005 had lower single thread performance than this Sempron and games were not really made for dual cores at that point, so for gaming up to 2005 I would think the 145 is a great CPU;
1GB is also good for this era,

the 3850 will be fast for older games, it should be able to outperform or match the cards from before the 8800GTX (like 7900GTX), on older titles but not always.

Reply 6 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Dual-core CPUs weren't around when XP came out and I haven't seen it run slow on any of my XP-era single core PCs, so what makes you think that?

Having to work on office computers that were abysmally slow. A lot of it was the lack of RAM, but multiple cores helps as well.

Just because a lot of games from that era didn't use multiple threads doesn't mean that multiples cores don't help. There are a lot of background tasks that can use the other core(s). Things just run way smoother with multiple cores.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 12, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Completely updated XP SP3 sucks on anything sub 2gb and sub 2.8ghz P4 in my experience. With the rate Core2 and Athlon II stuff is getting tossed it just makes sense to use. Do you already have the any of the parts on hand? A Phenom ii or Athlon ii would be my Am2/3 suggestions and a e8400 or Q9500 or something like that on the intel side. With 4gb of ram, an SSD and a HD3850 you could even run Crysis.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Completely updated XP SP3 sucks on anything sub 2gb and sub 2.8ghz P4 in my experience

That's not true.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 12, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mean NIB is a bonus but I'm not sure at that price. I couldn't sell a 3870 with all accessories for half that, still have it.

It's kind of luck of the draw on that kind of thing. If you want to set up a display with all the boxes like some people do that might be worth it.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 10 of 12, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

ODwilly wrote:

Completely updated XP SP3 sucks on anything sub 2gb and sub 2.8ghz P4 in my experience. ...

My own experience differs greatly... keep the software side under control and latest XP is quite usable on vastly lower hardware. (Even more so if you use nLite to cut the unneeded bloat out.) It might actually help that extended support is over, as these PCs that shouldn't be jacked into the 'net anymore no longer need real-time stay-resident anti-virus software and firewalls running all the time.

As far as OP's setup goes, a Sempron 145 is going to be significantly faster than a P4 at the same clockspeed, but they have not mentioned yet how much memory they plan to go with...

Reply 11 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
Why skimp on the CPU for XP. […]
Show full quote

1GB of RAM ios also the bare minimum I will run XP with.

As for the 3850, it should be good for games up to 2005. It was released in 2007.

Running Windows XP on a Socket 754 Athlon64 3200+ and 2GB RAM and I can say it's definitely NOT slow. Remember that XP came out in 2001 and dual core CPUs were not a consumer thing before 2005, and Vista arrived in 2006. Single core XP is pretty comfortable as long as your CPU is decent. Vista, on the other hand.. 😵

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 12, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ya, if you arent actually web browsing the old single cores still hold up great with XP. Fast storage and enough ram really makes all the difference for XP quality of life. But we are talking about pairing a system up with a HD3850, why would you intentionally bottleneck a fairly competent video card?