VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At what point does using a Glide wrapper become a better option than using a real Voodoo addon card? What CPU/GPU combinations can produce about the speed of a Voodoo 2 without bottlenecks? I'm asking because I am debating which systems I won actually warrant adding a Voodoo 1 or Voodoo 2 card for increasing compatibility with games..

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-10-16, 16:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wrapper =/= emulation. Athlon XP/Pentium 4, high-end DX9 GPU or better, but old zeckensack's wrapper will work fine with GeForce 4 Ti.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 4, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say Glide wrapper is actually better than real Voodoo1/2 hardware Glide. More recent Glide wrappers would allow any resolutions on the games and support windowed mode. Something that is not possible with actual hardware Glide on Voodoo1/2. I actually never missed my Voodoo2. Glide wrappers have been doing the jobs nicely since the WinXP era.

Reply 4 of 4, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, you can't beat the versatility of Glide wrappers of being able to play anywhere, anytime and potentially cross platform and OS's. It rids one from the frustration to build & maintain retro system which would some day failed in time due to material aging. Just focus on getting the best CPU & GPU, faster bigger RAM & storage....