VOGONS

Nvidia Fermi retro?

Topic actions

First post, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I have a system running Windows 10 built in 2010. It has dual GTX 480 cards in SLI. HOT, I know, but I’m doing a custom water cooling loop to deal with 2x 250watt TDP cards. Anyway, not my point.

I just read on a website that Nvidia is transitioning the Fermi series (400/500) to Legacy support and after January 2019, will stop driver support altogether. My question is, since it’s now considered “legacy” by the original manufacturer, does that make these cards “retro” yet? 🤣. And if so... does that mean Windows 7 is going to be considered retro soon as well? I mean, my system has a Core i7-860 CPU with 4 cores and 8 threads and runs Windows 10 like a champ. And two GTX 480s together still has enough performance to push even modern games @1920x1080 close to 60 FPS at normal graphics settings. I think most people here wouldn’t call that retro. But the cards were released in 2010, so only 1.5 years to go before they’re 10 years old. What’s the cutoff standard for considering something retro? 10 years? An inability to handle current OSes? An inability to handle modern games?

Like, I’d consider anything Windows XP and older as “retro” now, but there’s a HUGE swath of graphics hardware that XP can handle. Is Windows Vista retro?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 1 of 20, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well i consider something retro when it's usability with newer software and newer versions of windows is crippled
of course there are some exceptions, like the older P4 Cedar Mill, these can run the latest windows and most newer apps (sluggish), but they're retro to me because of age and companion hardware (chipsets, RAM, GPU, HDD's) and because they don't perform adequately anymore.

that being said, i don't consider Fermi being retro, at least for two more years, because they still can run the latest games, only when it's performance/compatibility is becoming bad i will say that they're retro, like it happened with Radeon HD4000 series, that while with modded drivers they can run far newer games, but officially they're retro

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3-10 years = old junk.
10+ years = retro.

Is Windows Vista retro?

Only if you consider Windows ME abomination as retro.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 20, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Short definitions :
"Old stuff" : Old hardware that still is "good enough",
Vintage : Pentium III/Athlon XP and older (15+ years and anything without SSE2 support).
"Retro" : Old "cool" hardware (sometimes it's needed for particular game/program to run "as intended", it's usually sought after).

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I draw the line at the agp slot: pci-e is not retro.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 20, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's been entire threads where everybody voices their idea of when something becomes retro. There is obviously no concrete definition.

The older you get, the longer it takes for something to feel "retro" as well.

Let's just say it's retro when you feel nostalgia for it while knowing it's useless by today's standards. I'd vote the 480 in sli is still quite useable though :p

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6 of 20, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I'd vote the 480 in sli is still quite useable though :p

It's certainly useful as a space heater! 🤣

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 8 of 20, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even PCIe 1.0? With only 250MB/s per lane transfer speeds? This also means the 8000 series and earlier for NVIDIA, as the 8800GTS is where they started making PCIe 2.0 compatible cards. I think the competing cards of the day were Radeon HD 4000 series cards. Somebody wanna correct me on that?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 11 of 20, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fermi is less than 1 year and half from becoming a decade old, also it runs well on windows XP which feels retro by now I think... I can see it, in any case, it's a good card for retro gaming!

Reply 13 of 20, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My vote would be not yet. Fermi drivers even support DX12, and a GTX480 is approximately equal to a GTX1030 in modern games.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 14 of 20, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends what aspect of 'retro' matters to you. You can build a really good windows XP gaming box with a GTX480, but it doesn't really fit with a period correct XP gaming pc.

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 15 of 20, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BinaryDemon wrote:

My vote would be not yet. Fermi drivers even support DX12, and a GTX480 is approximately equal to a GTX1030 in modern games.

it is a bit stronger than the 1030 on most games but... DX12 support on Fermi is really bad, I don't think it even counts.

Reply 16 of 20, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
3-10 years = old junk. 10+ years = retro. […]
Show full quote

3-10 years = old junk.
10+ years = retro.

Is Windows Vista retro?

Only if you consider Windows ME abomination as retro.

Heh I agree with this. I’m sure there will be ton of ‘2007-2009 period correct OS’ debates in future but basically most peoples answer will be - I hung onto to XP until Win7 was released.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 17 of 20, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BinaryDemon wrote:

I’m sure there will be ton of ‘2007-2009 period correct OS’ debates in future but basically most peoples answer will be - I hung onto to XP until Win7 was released.

Then I will be one of the dissenters to this.

In 2005 I bought a laptop with Windows XP, having used Windows XP since ~2003 when I built my Athlon XP system. And that little laptop still works to this day for gaming, but without support from Microsoft, lack of updates to Google Chrome and Firefox, it's not useful for modern internet browsing.

In 2008 I built my mother a computer for roughly $560 with the express purpose of running Windows Vista. The only thing she didn't get was a top-of-the-line graphics card. I put in a Geforce 8400GS instead. Windows Vista worked like charm and NEVER gave her any problems. The two reasons I never upgraded to Vista on my laptop were

A) The hardware couldn't handle Vista as my experience has shown that single-core processors simply are not able to keep up with Vista and later operating systems, including Windows 7/8/8.1/10. It also had a hard limit of 2GB of memory - woefully inadequate for Vista or later. Yes, I include Windows 7 in the "Needs 4GB minimum to be happy" rule I have.

B) I didn't want to spend $100 to get a new license of Vista.

I didn't even get to play with Windows 7 until I bought a copy of it for my 2010 gaming rig I was putting together at the time. Win7 Home 64-bit, dual GTX 480s in SLI, a Core i7-860 quad-core with HT running @ 3GHz with 16GB of DDR3-1600 memory? What's not to like? The system was silky smooth, powerful as shit, and blew me away with what it could do. Also, when it started snowing outside, I could just stick my feet behind the GPU blowers and run a game. Kept my feet toasty warm!

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 18 of 20, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not a Vista advocate by any means.

But I will say that I think it did get a bit of a bad rap, at launch driver support was pretty abysmal but it did get better relatively quickly.

More so though I think the hardware requirements were waaaaay under stated by Microsoft.

There were a ton of cheapie OEM built machines with single core Sempron's and 512MB of RAM that were sold as "Vista Capable"

Throw in a 1GB stick and they would say they were recommended for Windows Vista, with Aero support.

What a joke.

By the time driver support for existing hardware was up to par and people had realized that you needed a dual core and minimum of 3GB of RAM, Windows 7 was on the horizon....

Reply 19 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bottom line: Anything Vista can do, Windows 7 can do better.

That said, nobody loves Vista and you can buy Vista Ultimate box quite cheap, if authentic physical copy of OS is your thing.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.