VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I've built a new system for my Voodoo 5 5500. Problem is, I have issues with glide mode in games — I have tested it in both Quake 2 and Quake 3. I didn't have anything like this on my previous Slot 1 system, so I don't know where to look.

In Quake 2 I can switch to Glide mode, but can't choose the resolution higher than 800 x 600 and I don't see the 3DFX intro, so I'm not sure I'm running in Glide at all.

In Quake 3 I can't switch to Glide. The option is visible in the settings, I choose it and apply the settings, but when I go back to the settings, the Glide is switched off. The framerate at anything higher than 640x480 is pretty low, too.

Jedi Outcast 2 (a game based on Q3 engine) doesn't have a Glide mode, but it's virtually unplayable. The FPS is extremely low, the load times are around 10 minutes, and many cinematics don't load. I've played this game on a Pentium 2 with an NVIDIA Vanta card back in the day — sure, it ran like shit, but it still ran better than this.

My system is:

Pentium 3@1000 MHz
Asus TUSL2-C motherboard
256MB RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
Creative SB Live
Diamond Monster Sound MX300
3COM network card
80GB Samsung HDD

Software

I have a clean install of Windows 98SE (I've reformatted the hard drive, too). The chipset drivers are installed, the Voodoo 5 uses reference drivers from v1.3 disk . I've also tried reinstalling the v1.2 drivers from the disk that came with the card.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea what that driver disk contains, but if you are using reference drivers, you probably want the latest regular (Version 1.04.00 WHQL) or beta (Version 1.04.01b) release.

The FalconFly archive sites will have the files you want:

http://www.falconfly.de/3dfxarchive.htm

Here is the Voodoo5 page from one of the sites:

http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/vsa100.html

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 4, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried installing newer drivers, but nothing changed. I suspect my DirectX may be too new (it's version 8 while according to Google I better stick to DX7). However I don't suppose it should affect Glide games since they don't use DX at all?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 4, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure those games used OpenGL not Glide? So I don't think you're going to get a Glide API mode out of those games. It will be the voodoo running OpenGL. Might want to try messing with MiniGL? Just a suggestion.

Reference thread: Quake I/II Glide vs OpenGL

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 4 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake II uses 3dfx minigl. It looks like the minigl version is too old and Voodoo5 is detected as Voodoo Graphics.
Quake III needs 3dfxvgl.dll (Voodoo 2 ICD driver) for the "Voodoo" option. Voodoo1/3/4/5 ICD is named 3dfxogl.dll.

Use the "default opengl" option. Voodoo5 ICD is opengl -> glide wrapper so all opengl programs will be "glide".

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).