VOGONS

First post, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks, was just thinking about this, and cannot seem to find any related threads that DON´T talk about emulation / dosbox..

Suppose you have a monitor capable of higher refresh rates, and the card can too. I know it's easy in windows, just go to the GUI, set the resolution and refresh and your done.

But is it at all possible in DOS to play games at higher than 60Hz refresh rate? (like I don't know, 70Hz, 85Hz, etc.) Or do they just get set to that by default?

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For VGA no. For VBE 3 there are various utilities to change the refresh but most if not all games use VBE 1 or 2.
You could possibly modify the video card bios.

DOS games are typically 70hz.

Also just like today games can use the refresh rate for timing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most LCDs can do > 60hz at lower-than-native resolution.
My 1080p does exactly 70hz in an aspect-corrected 1024x768, which is perfect for gaming in DOSBox.
Yeah, the image isn't perfectly crisp if you get close enough, however the benefit of playing judder-free 70 fps in Wold3D and Pinball Dreams is worth it.

Reply 3 of 4, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote:

Most LCDs can do > 60hz at lower-than-native resolution.
My 1080p does exactly 70hz in an aspect-corrected 1024x768, which is perfect for gaming in DOSBox.
Yeah, the image isn't perfectly crisp if you get close enough, however the benefit of playing judder-free 70 fps in Wold3D and Pinball Dreams is worth it.

Right, but if you are using DOS box you already in windows so it’s not really the same thing as I was asking in terms of pure native DOS

Reply 4 of 4, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most games just use standard VGA modes, which are either 60 or 70 Hz, depending on the exact mode. This is because the VGA standard had fixed refresh rates.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/