VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i've been testing out a few cards under 98se recently and it seems that everything past voodoo3 era means trouble. this is on a 440bx system with dx9.0c installed:

asus gf2gts: weird flickering "rogue" split-second frames that occur in duke3d every few minutes (only vesa modes tested). i've had a repeatable hard crash issue with this also when leaving it alone, but from further testing that might be possibly caused by the windows screensaver activating. on other cards an activating screensaver doesn't seem to crash the PC when a DOS game is running.

kyro ii: this is the only card i've seen that displays doom with tearing for some reason, looks quite ugly given the 35 fps.

radeon ddr: this one has been the worst, i'm not sure if something could be bad with the card itself but loading any DOS stuff under windows easily leads to bluescreens and protection errors upon shutdown, especially if any windows game has been loaded before. duke3d vesa modes are garbled on this card (also with nolfbe), vga works but even that has an issue with vertical stripes that appear with the color effect from picking up health etc, and on explosions. now uninstalling the driver causes the vesa modes to actually work fine, so it's clearly a windows driver issue, however in that case the game is capped at 60 fps.

and those aren't exactly obscure games either... i suppose the cards on https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ were all tested under pure DOS. is it even worth trying to go back and load the DOS UNIVBE with those games under 98?

Reply 1 of 1, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you try same games in pure DOS, are results the same?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.