VOGONS

First post, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just curious, I was wondering what were the last/newest graphics cards that had official driver support for only up to Windows 98; i.e., no Win2k, XP, and above?

Reply 1 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATI Rage 128 MAXX. ATI quite notoriously showed the middle finger to their customers with this one.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Rage Fury Maxx can run with Win2k but only one GPU operates. Can't help but wonder how they didn't foresee that compatibility problem.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020213193052/ht … seedycrocadile/

Reply 5 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rendition Verité 2100 comes to mind.
It may have Win2k drivers, I'm too lazy to look it up.
We used to have trouble getting these to work on XP machines and back then people didn't even want 9x anymore because they considered it too old. Even if they got it for free 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Armand Karlsen wrote:

...was wondering what were the last/newest graphics cards that had official driver support for only up to Windows 98; i.e., no Win2k, XP, and above?

Which of the following scenarios are you interested in finding an answer for:

a)the last graphics card which only had manufacturers-supplied drivers for no OS later than Win98 AND newer operating systems did not supply their own drivers?
or
b) the last graphics card which only had manufacturers-supplied drivers for no OS later than Win98 AND newer operating systems did supply their own drivers?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 14, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

stock windows xp always seems to have a compatible display driver for even 1 or 2mb onboard gpu's. while windows 98 typically doesn't have a lot of built in drivers.

I think it would be very difficult to find a gpu that only had windows 98 drivers , it would need to be very old and just barely needed a windows 98 driver like a sub megabyte card , maybe an old isa or vlb card that got one last update for windows 98.

and or , the card would need to be so obscure that xp didn't have a default compatible driver.

Reply 8 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo2 *nearly* became a Win9x-only card as early Win2k drivers were looking uncertain about secondary 3d device support (which evidently screwed the aforementioned MAXX over)

In the end they didn't have full functionality (No D3D for W2k V2)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 14, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the thing with xp drivers is that they doesn't have full compatibility or performance
for example, in most if not all drivers, there is lack of support for openGL
sure you can use the integrated D3D to OGL wrapper in some cards, but the performance is crap
in other cards, while they have 3D rendering support aswell as Direct3D support, the driver simply uses them as a framebuffer or an accelerated 2D card
that's why i don't think that integrated drivers should take account

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 10 of 14, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The integrated drivers not providing OpenGL support was a huge dick/business move.

I remember puzzling for a day why Quake wouldn't run besides the card having been "properly" installed - they could at least hinted at it via "Note: D3D only - for "extened" functionality acquire drivers for OpenGL by a vendor of your choice".

Reply 11 of 14, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amadeus777999 wrote:

The integrated drivers not providing OpenGL support was a huge dick/business move.

I remember puzzling for a day why Quake wouldn't run besides the card having been "properly" installed - they could at least hinted at it via "Note: D3D only - for "extened" functionality acquire drivers for OpenGL by a vendor of your choice".

yeah, in some way it makes sense because they already had a "good enough" API, they don't want competition on its own operating system, but that was a bummer for consumers that didn't know that

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 12 of 14, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:
Which of the following scenarios are you interested in finding an answer for: […]
Show full quote
Armand Karlsen wrote:

...was wondering what were the last/newest graphics cards that had official driver support for only up to Windows 98; i.e., no Win2k, XP, and above?

Which of the following scenarios are you interested in finding an answer for:

a)the last graphics card which only had manufacturers-supplied drivers for no OS later than Win98 AND newer operating systems did not supply their own drivers?
or
b) the last graphics card which only had manufacturers-supplied drivers for no OS later than Win98 AND newer operating systems did supply their own drivers?

I was thinking about manufacturer-supplied drivers rather than OS-supplied drivers, so I suppose more a than b. I wouldn't count the half-assed way the built-in XP drivers (as mentioned in a couple of the previous replies) were done, for example.

Reply 13 of 14, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ATI MACH64VT. 😀 1MB and 2MB versions. up to win95 during that time when it came out. Later OS versions had support, BUT not all
benefits were used with them.

In fact its drivers for win3.x were best, while for further platforms it was a cropped down version. Its software with hotkeys worked better for win3.x platform as it made useful addon to swap with only one key combination the screen resolutions and desktop size. All of which is not not common with the later video card drivers unfortunately. The nVidia drivers can switch between different desktops only.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 14 of 14, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weldum wrote:
the thing with xp drivers is that they doesn't have full compatibility or performance for example, in most if not all drivers, t […]
Show full quote

the thing with xp drivers is that they doesn't have full compatibility or performance
for example, in most if not all drivers, there is lack of support for openGL
sure you can use the integrated D3D to OGL wrapper in some cards, but the performance is crap
in other cards, while they have 3D rendering support aswell as Direct3D support, the driver simply uses them as a framebuffer or an accelerated 2D card
that's why i don't think that integrated drivers should take account

I can say first hand that Matrox's Win9x drivers are faster than the Win2k/XP drivers. The last fully D3D/OGL enabled 2k/XP driver for their G200/4x0 cards is slower in games than the Win9x counterpart. For example, AnandTech's test of the G450 under Q3A at 800x600x32 on a P3-550MHz machine running Win98se delivered 43fps whereas my own test on a P3-933MHz machine at the same resolution under WinXP SP3 resulted in only 32fps (Matrox G400/G450 Quake III Performance)