VOGONS

First post, by norolim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an 2D VGA PCI card, that I wont to test. Unfortunately, my Socket 1 board doesn't have any PCI slots. The only thing I could test it on is my Windows 98 machine, that runs on a board manufactured between 2001 and 2003. Will it work? Is there anything I should know before I try? Are there any BIOS settings I need to configure?

Reply 2 of 8, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should work. Most boards by default will check the PCI slots before the AGP for graphics cards.

emosun wrote:

what card is it? I didn't know a 2d exclusive card existed on pci

There are... literally hundreds? S3 Trio64, Cirrus CL-GD54xx, Trident TGUI9xxx, etc. Maybe you're thinking about something else.

Reply 3 of 8, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:

There are... literally hundreds? S3 Trio64, Cirrus CL-GD54xx, Trident TGUI9xxx, etc. Maybe you're thinking about something else.

3d like with shutter glasses or 3d as in polygons on a screen? I guess if it's not compatible with glasses or googles then i guess every card would be 2D. I forgot that 2d could just mean the final image. 🤣

Reply 4 of 8, by norolim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a Tseng ET4000. Tested it. Not displaying anything 🙁

EDIT:
OK, the only problem I can think of, apart form the card being dead, is a PCI version compatibility issue. PCI v2.2 introduced 3.3V slots, which would not power a 5V card. However, the Internet says, the key position in the 3.3V and 5V slots was different, so a 3.3V card would not fit in a 3.3V only slot. Can someone confirm it was a standard and there was no physical way to insert a 5V card in a 3.3V slot?

Reply 5 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
norolim wrote:

It's a Tseng ET4000. Tested it. Not displaying anything 🙁

EDIT:
OK, the only problem I can think of, apart form the card being dead, is a PCI version compatibility issue. PCI v2.2 introduced 3.3V slots, which would not power a 5V card. However, the Internet says, the key position in the 3.3V and 5V slots was different, so a 3.3V card would not fit in a 3.3V only slot. Can someone confirm it was a standard and there was no physical way to insert a 5V card in a 3.3V slot?

There may be some other compatibility issue, but it is unlikely to be the voltage since even on the latest boards that had PCI slots they were usually keyed for 5v PCI compatibility. I believe the exception would be later 64bit PCI cards for workstations and servers. This is an interesting page about PCI compatibility:

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/54456/en/

Likewise, there are very few PCI cards that are keyed for only 3.3v use (rather than universal cards with both keys) outside of workstation and server parts.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 8, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The card should work, you don't need to worry about that shit. I'm a computer technician so i should know what i'm talking about. 😀
Just take the agp card out and put the pci one in. If it doesn't work most likely it's not properly inserted in the slot, you need to insert it firmly, some force is required but don't apply too much. With some cases it's a bit tricky, you could try inserting the farther side from the connector first.
The card could also be bad of course.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 7 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look for a bios option for "Initial display" or something along those lines. Sometimes it will be set to AGP and just ignore pci cards. Also with a card that old it may not be playing well if you are using a modernish LCD.

In that case I have noticed the LCD will light up and try to detect the vga signal but either just stay black or say "out of range".

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1