VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 486 motherboard that has both isa and pci slot. With Tseng ET4000AX isa card and intel 486dx 33Mhz cpu I got about 9 fps in doom time demo benchmark. I thought that was bit slow, but probably normal. Then I switched the cpu to 486dx4 100Mhz and did the same doom benchmark with the same video card and I only got about 11 Fps in the benchmark. I searched online and others using Tseng ET4000AX card and 100Mhz 486 combination have usually gotten close to 20Fps in doom time demo.

Do you think there is something wrong with the video card or are isa video cards slower on motherboards that have pci slots too?
I just feel like 11 fps is too slow when I tripled the cpu speed and ET4000AX isn't suppose to be the slowest video card. I could be wrong of course, but something feels strange about this.

Reply 2 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No. It is 1Mb card and divider was 1/4 like I always have used with 33Mhz FSB.

tseng4000.jpg
Filename
tseng4000.jpg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not on Tseng cards, but from my experience with Trident and Western Digital cards, one of them is probably used to enable/disable FIFO i.e. drastically improve performance.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Changing JP3 on the card did speed up it a little, but it is still very slow. Now I tried to match phil's results.
https://imgur.com/CoLrmnu
https://imgur.com/ThHTk69

My results in doom benchmark were 13.4 FPS for 66Mhz cpu and 10.6 FPS for 33Mhz cpu
Phil's results are still almost 50% faster especially with 66Mhz.

Reply 9 of 16, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there are two possibilities here:
1) The ET4000AX is very slow for some reason
2) The 486 is very slow for some reason

I would start by testing the ET4000AX in a known good/fast PC, or by using a known good/fast card in your 486.
It could be that your 486 is just slow because it has no/fake cache on the motherboard, in which case it will be slow no matter what card you use.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 10 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:
I think there are two possibilities here: 1) The ET4000AX is very slow for some reason 2) The 486 is very slow for some reason […]
Show full quote

I think there are two possibilities here:
1) The ET4000AX is very slow for some reason
2) The 486 is very slow for some reason

I would start by testing the ET4000AX in a known good/fast PC, or by using a known good/fast card in your 486.
It could be that your 486 is just slow because it has no/fake cache on the motherboard, in which case it will be slow no matter what card you use.

The motherboard is very fast with any PCI video card (33Mhz 16 FPS and 66Mhz 26 FPS). but it becomes slow like that when I put that ISA video card there.
So since I can't at the moment test the card with another 486 motherboard, I was wondering if it is possible that something about the motherboard having a pci bus can make ISA video cards slow?

Reply 11 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested my ET4000AX a while back with a 486DX 33 MHz & 486 DX2 66 MHz on different 486 motherboards and the results can vary quite a bit, depending on (but not limited to):

• Amount of memory on your motherboard
  • Secondary (L2) cache and the size
  • Chipset of the motherboard
  • Amount of RAM on your graphics card
  • Whether you are booting up in real mode of virtual 86 mode (with EMM386.exe loaded)
  • BIOS (CMOS) settings of your motherboard (RAM & cache timings, etc.)

On my "hybrid" 386/486 motherboard (with an OPTI 495XLC chipset), I got worse results than on a dedicated 486 VLB based motherboard.
Best I managed to get (in real mode) on the 33 MHz CPU was 10.4 fps and on the 66 MHz CPU was 15 fps.

I performed another test with the same CPU's on an ASUS VL/I-SV2GX4 motherboard but, using a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5422 1 MB ISA card (the CL-GD5422 is more or less comparable in performance to an ET4000AX).
There I managed to get 13.9 fps with the 33 MHz CPU & 24.2 fps with the 66 MHz CPU.

Reply 12 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand that those things make a difference, but should a system that is the fastest 486 with pci cards that I have seen become slowest when I just switch a pci card to that isa card and change absolutely nothing else?
Cache, ram, chipset, config.sys/autoexec.bat and bios settings all stay the same.

Reply 13 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering that I got 13.9 fps on my 33 MHz 486DX & 24 fps with my 66 MHz 486DX2 with my GL-GD5422 16-bit ISA card on a VLB motherboard, and your PCI graphics card barely outperformed my ISA card on a PCI based motherboard, I would say that your problem is most likely with your motherboard.

Just as a matter of interest, what 486 motherboard do you have?

Reply 14 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LS-486E
There is a picture in this thread. Re: 486 and hard drive size limit.
I don't know how it compares to other motherboards, so all I am saying that it is fastest 486 motherboard I have. It beats them by at least 10% when using same cpu.

Reply 15 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

LS-486E
I don't know how it compares to other motherboards, so all I am saying that it is fastest 486 motherboard I have. It beats them by at least 10% when using same cpu.

I have the same motherboard as well and it's a very nice 486 PCI motherboard.
I suggest you take a closer look at your CMOS settings.

Reply 16 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:
Baoran wrote:

LS-486E

I have the same motherboard as well and it's a very nice 486 PCI motherboard.
I suggest you take a closer look at your CMOS settings.

Any chance you could test ET4000AX isa card on yours or some other isa video card?