VOGONS

First post, by GadgetBlues

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a devil of a time getting Radeon drivers to install on Windows XP SP3.

The setup completes "successfully" but the driver is not installed afterward, and the Catalyst Control Center is not installed either.

If I then manually install the driver from the ATI directory, I get an unsigned driver warning (which I didn't get during setup), I click through that and the driver installs successfully. However, Catalyst Control Center is still not installed and no amount of reinstalling will help. I can't run without CCC because I need to enable aspect ratio scaling, etc.

I've tried this on multiple Radeon cards on 2 completely different systems, all the way up through a HD 7970. This is Catalyst 14.4, the current version on AMD's site for XP 32.

Any ideas? I would switch to nVidia but I can't use GeForce cards on this monitor because it's 2560x1440 and all GeForce cards up through at least 400 series have a bug that if you connect to a 2560x1440 monitor using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter it will interpret the PnP ID as dual-link DVI and give an "out of range" signal.

Reply 3 of 5, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you have driver package with CCC included. (check it's file size if you have doubts)
To install CCC manually, you need to go to unpacked installation folder (example : "C:\\ATI\etc."), and search for "CCC" folder. Run setup file from it and that's all.
FYI : Newest or beta drivers may not have setup.exe file for CCC.

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 5, by rod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got the same issue with this setup: Re: My 3DMark03 Mega Thread
As you can see, I'm using the same drivers that you're attempting to install.
1. First install manually the graphics card driver from device manager. Reboot.
2. Then run Catalyst installer, choose custom installation and then just select to install Catalyst Control Center without the graphics card driver. At this point, you can also install the HDMI audio driver and/or the HydraVision package in case you are going to use them.
That's what I did and got the driver working along with CCC.

Reply 5 of 5, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was having the same problem getting Catalyst 14.4 to work with a Radeon HD 8490 on an Optiplex 760 SFF with Windows XP SP3. rod's workaround worked for me. Thanks!

PCGames9505