VOGONS

First post, by CMR779

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anyone tell me if the cirius logic chipsets are any good? I have a packard bell with a pb600 mobo and it has an integrated cirius logic alpine gd5430 vga chip. It also has a set of sockets that are upgradable to 2MB of vram.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/600.htm

It has a 75 Mhz pentium and 16MB of ram. I think the onboard video has 1MB of ram. I ran some benchmarks and got this:

3dbench: 50 FPS
PC Player bench: 6.5 FPS (640x400 8bpp)

For some reason, I feel like these should be higher. Also I tried upgrading the vram and it made a game I was testing with (The DIG) bog down. Any idea why this would happen?

The chips I used were these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-MT4C16256DJ-7-MICR … aAyRh:rk:2:pf:0

I think I'll try reinstalling the chips and see if it changes the benchmarks. Does anyone know of any good utilities for testing the VGA ram and hardware other than the benchmark software I mentioned above?

edit: I wrote the wrong resolution for the pc player bench. it should be 640x400 not 640x480

Reply 1 of 1, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Couple of misunderstandings here:
- a separate onboard chip is not "integrated", it's "onboard". Integrated VGA is integrated into some other chip such as the chipset northbridge or CPU/APU. That is very relevant for performance as integrated VGA shares system memory, generally introducing a huge bottleneck for both CPU and VGA. Onboard just consists of chips that could have been stuck on an expansion card, complete with dedicated memory. This chip should behave exactly as a GD5430 on a card.

- "VRAM" is a specific kind of memory in use in the period this system is from, not a generic term for video memory. The GD-5430 uses (EDO-)DRAM, not VRAM. If you try to add VRAM, it's not going to work.

Either way, more RAM is unlikely to affect performance very much in a pure 2D chip like this. It's mainly relevant for max resolution in desktop stuff.

IMHO biggest performance issue with what you describe is the 25MHz PCI and 50MHz RAM & cache access with the P75. Sometimes those early beasts overclock to 90MHz. That would give a very, very big performance boost.