VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello VOGONS!

Have a question. Recently, I acquired a PNY Nvidia GeForce 6800GT for my Pentium 4 rig, and it is a fine GPU. Utterly destroys my PNY Nvidia GeForce FX 5900XT and my ATI Radeon 98000 Pro under both Windows 98SE and XP. However, there's a problem - it's cooler:
4cAXqlql.jpg

After getting the card, completely taking the whole thing apart (including breaking-down the cooler) to thoroughly clean it, putting it back together with a fresh application of Arctic MX-4 on the GPU die and RAM (TIM was on the RAM chips, so I decided to use TIM again instead of thermal tape; it doesn't look like I could thermal pads with it), and throwing it into my machine, I noticed two things: one, the cooler makes a rattling sound for a little bit during boot-up, and two, under XP, the card sits around 50C during idle, and at one point hit 70C while playing some games. To me, this is unacceptable, even though I'm sure it is "in spec", temperature-wise.

So, I'm planning on looking for a replacement cooler, since I deem this inadequate, but I don't know what to get. Hence, this thread.

Can anyone give me recommendations for a "new" replacement GPU cooler for this card? I don't care if it's period correct or not - it can be from the early 2000's, or it can be brand new. It just needs to be better than this garbage.

Speaking of Arctic Cooling, though, I remembered that they sold GPU coolers still, and looking on their site, I found this cooler - the Accelero L2 Plus. It's their smallest option, and in the card compatibility listing, it goes as far back as the 7000 series. Would this be an option?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 24, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
the_ultra_code wrote:

Have you looked up any Zalman heat sink/fan gpu kits? i know they made some decent stuff for that era, i used two kits on 2 GForce 7900 GS cards, one was great the others fan smelled like burning electronics 🤣, got them for 2$ each from a local computer shop that likes to sell its old stuff to me for dirt cheap, hit and miss on the old stuff.

Reply 2 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arbys Guy wrote:
the_ultra_code wrote:

Have you looked up any Zalman heat sink/fan gpu kits? i know they made some decent stuff for that era, i used two kits on 2 GForce 7900 GS cards, one was great the others fan smelled like burning electronics 🤣, got them for 2$ each from a local computer shop that likes to sell its old stuff to me for dirt cheap, hit and miss on the old stuff.

That's the thing, though. What am I looking for? Zalman seems to have stopped selling any GPU coolers.

I mean, I did find this Zalman cooler on ebay. Problem is, one, it looks like it is using a 3-pin fan header instead of a 2-pin GPU fan header, and two, there are plenty of similar cheap Chinese remakes of this design of cooler.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 3 of 24, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the temperatures are actually normal and on the better end for this card, 50 degrees idle is normal, 80-90 degrees under load is common, maximum is between 100-110. Changing the cooler will not significantly reduce temps. Those old cards have no ability to down clock at idle, so they will be significantly warmer than modern cards.

Reply 4 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Koltoroc wrote:

the temperatures are actually normal and on the better end for this card, 50 degrees idle is normal, 80-90 degrees under load is common, maximum is between 100-110. Changing the cooler will not significantly reduce temps. Those old cards have no ability to down clock at idle, so they will be significantly warmer than modern cards.

Interesting piece of info, but I was worried someone might say something to this effect. *sigh*

Well, any degree difference would be much appreciated by me. Just the thought of 50C, even by nature... eek.

I did happen to find a cooler that would seem to fit the bill just nicely for a replacement - the Thermaltake DuOrb. Any thoughts?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 5 of 24, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From some reviews it's very effective, but also very noisy (and the reviews were from a time when people usually accept more noise from the computers than today, so...), you have to undervolt the fans to reduce the noise to bearable levels.

Reply 6 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can reduce GPU voltage by editing BIOS. GeForce 6800GT is 1.3v, but you probably can tone it down to 1.1v (GeForce 6800LE). Forget about any overclocking after that though.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a Thermalright Spitfire VGA in storage for my 6800 when the stock fan dies one day, but that may not be to everyones taste.

The mounting holes is the key which according to this is 58x58mm
https://koolance.com/help-gpu-hole-spacing

So as long as a cooler you like the looks of supports this and reviews say it's up to cooling at least something that produces similar heat your good to go.

Reply 8 of 24, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The NV silencer is a fine cooler for that card, i would keep it.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm back. 😀

shiva2004 wrote:

From some reviews it's very effective, but also very noisy (and the reviews were from a time when people usually accept more noise from the computers than today, so...), you have to undervolt the fans to reduce the noise to bearable levels.

You are right. After hearing this, I read some reviews, and they said the same thing. What a shame. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

You can reduce GPU voltage by editing BIOS. GeForce 6800GT is 1.3v, but you probably can tone it down to 1.1v (GeForce 6800LE). Forget about any overclocking after that though.

True. Undervolting on CPUs is a great way to reduce energy consumption and heat output, I don't see why that's not a thing with GPUs. Although, I don't really mess with voltages and stuff, so the chance of me doing that is low. However, it's always an option.

chinny22 wrote:

I've got a Thermalright Spitfire VGA in storage for my 6800 when the stock fan dies one day, but that may not be to everyone's taste.

Damn, that's a big-ass cooler right there. 🤣

chinny22 wrote:

The mounting holes is the key which according to this is 58x58mm
https://koolance.com/help-gpu-hole-spacing

Wow, that's actually a very useful guide. Thanks!

chinny22 wrote:

So as long as a cooler you like the looks of supports this and reviwes say it's upto cooling at least something that produces similar heat your good to go.

True.

meljor wrote:

The NV silencer is a fine cooler for that card, i would keep it.

True, especially given what Koltoroc said. Still... if "we have the technology", why not get a better cooler that can further the life of this card? Again, my modern sensibilities are getting to me. I'm sure there are other coolers more capable that the NV silencer I currently have. Also, I'm not sure about the cooler's life itself, since it makes a slightly disturbing whirling-up noise whenever I turn on the machine. I'm sure the fan needs a little lovin', but since I cannot remove the fan, I can't do that. Dust has built up inside under the fan, and there's no way for me to clean it out. No amount of alcohol or air I sent at that dust's way was able to remove any sizable amount of it.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10 of 24, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there some element of perfection that makes you want to replace the HSF when it's not crashing, not running hot by any imagination and what you probably have is the best you can get for the era?

A workshop air compressor would get to any and all dust inside the shroud, and some oiling of the fan would also assist with the sluggish spin up from cold.

Reply 11 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never ordered this so I don't know how well it performs, but I've thought about it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-ATI-VGA-Video … FAAAOxypNtSjiPs

The diagram shows 53mm mounting holes, which according to the previously posted chart should be correct.
It appears to be pretty large and so it should cool well, but probably turns your card into a 3-slot.
What I like about it is that it looks like you can install whatever fan you like on it. You aren't stuck with whatever junk it comes with. The included fan doesn't plug into the card, but it's probably not safe to do that with any fan that draws much more power than the original.
If your motherboard supports PWM or at least variable voltage on the fan headers, you could use that in combination with a tool like SpeedFan to modulate fan speed vs GPU temperature according to your preference.

Reply 12 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Byrd wrote:

Is there some element of perfection that makes you want to replace the HSF when it's not crashing, not running hot by any imagination and what you probably have is the best you can get for the era?

Actually, because you mentioned it, yes, in fact, there is some element of perfection. 🤣 But not just that - maybe an element of concern for longevity. As far as I know, electronics' lifespans are shortened by both heat and hot-cold cycles, and while the latter cannot really be prevented without extreme cooling, the former surely can. Sure, 50-70C is totally within tolerances, but if I can bring it down to, say, 40-60C, that wouldn't hurt, would it? It's like you pack something up for shipping with more packaging materials than needed. Is it necessary? No. But does it hurt? Absolutely no.

Also, it would be cool (pun not intended) having a 6800GT run at 40C or less at idle, no? 🤣

Byrd wrote:

A workshop air compressor would get to any and all dust inside the shroud, and some oiling of the fan would also assist with the sluggish spin up from cold.

Sadly, I don't have either, although I have heard about using oil to maintain PC fans. What oil would I need to restore the fan? I just watched this video that suggested using "machine oil", but is that the "best" oil for the task?

Also, here's a picture of the dust build-up under the fan that I can't reach with alcohol or a can of compressed air.
5YYRxS5l.jpg

While I might not care to use the cooler anymore, I wouldn't want to throw it away either or leave it dusty as hell. The rest of the cooler I thoroughly clean, except for this part.

shamino wrote:
I've never ordered this so I don't know how well it performs, but I've thought about it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-ATI-VGA […]
Show full quote

I've never ordered this so I don't know how well it performs, but I've thought about it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-ATI-VGA-Video … FAAAOxypNtSjiPs

The diagram shows 53mm mounting holes, which according to the previously posted chart should be correct.
It appears to be pretty large and so it should cool well, but probably turns your card into a 3-slot.
What I like about it is that it looks like you can install whatever fan you like on it. You aren't stuck with whatever junk it comes with. The included fan doesn't plug into the card, but it's probably not safe to do that with any fan that draws much more power than the original.
If your motherboard supports PWM or at least variable voltage on the fan headers, you could use that in combination with a tool like SpeedFan to modulate fan speed vs GPU temperature according to your preference.

Yeah, that would probably do. I wouldn't mind if the card takes up 2-3 slots, since I only have a USB2 PCI card and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS below the card that I can easily move further below the card if need be. I guess the only concern for that cooler would be how well it would blow air over the VRAM chips. Probably wouldn't do the best, although it probably isn't necessary if you have good heatsinks on the VRAM chips

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 13 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html

Even an Accelero S1 rev 2 is enough to keep an 8800 Ultra cool with just a fan pointed in the direction of the cooler. ( I retrofitted one to one of my 8800 Ultra cards along with a Zalman RAM/VRM cooler).

This one with the dual fans is going to keep a 6800 icy cold and yoou wont have to modify the mounting hardware since it already supports the 6800 series.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II […]
Show full quote

Even an Accelero S1 rev 2 is enough to keep an 8800 Ultra cool with just a fan pointed in the direction of the cooler. ( I retrofitted one to one of my 8800 Ultra cards along with a Zalman RAM/VRM cooler).

This one with the dual fans is going to keep a 6800 icy cold and yoou wont have to modify the mounting hardware since it already supports the 6800 series.

Awesome. It does officially state it supports the 6800 series, unlike the one I linked above, and when compared to that one above it is obviously a lot bigger. Yeah, I think this would do the job. 🤣

I'm curious, though: Have you noticed any concerning GPU sag with your 8800 Ultra? I know modern card can handle a massive cooler without breaking a sweat, but I am a little concerned with a single slot card from the mid-2000s like my 6800GT. Hence why I was thinking about that cheaper model, the Accelero L2 Plus.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 15 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But not just that - maybe an element of concern for longevity.

If you're so concerned - you should do the voltmod and be done with it. That NV Silencer cooler is good enough.

What oil would I need to restore the fan?

Silicone oil or grease.

Reply 16 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:
If you're so concerned - you should do the voltmod and be done with it. That NV Silencer cooler is good enough. […]
Show full quote

If you're so concerned - you should do the voltmod and be done with it. That NV Silencer cooler is good enough.

Silicone oil or grease.

I've been using Mobile-1 full synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30... whatever I have on hand at the time. A drop or two of that and I've not yet had to re-oil a fan. Doesn't break down like petroleum based oils and doesn't gum up like grease or other stuff that separates and dries out... which is what silicone oil/grease will eventually do.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the_ultra_code wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II […]
Show full quote

Awesome. It does officially state it supports the 6800 series, unlike the one I linked above, and when compared to that one above it is obviously a lot bigger. Yeah, I think this would do the job. 🤣

I'm curious, though: Have you noticed any concerning GPU sag with your 8800 Ultra? I know modern card can handle a massive cooler without breaking a sweat, but I am a little concerned with a single slot card from the mid-2000s like my 6800GT. Hence why I was thinking about that cheaper model, the Accelero L2 Plus.

The S1 rev 2 is very light (268g) , so no worries about sagging at all. The one I linked is heavier (479g) due to it having fans and more fins. You can always use a string or something else to support the back corner if you are worried about sagging though.

Not sure I would trust the L2 to cool well enough. It is just a heatsink with a fan. Probably keep it within specs.. but I like to keep everything nice a really cool.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Okay, then how would you do that? I believe you would need RivaTuner, MSI Afterburner, or whatever other GPU-control program of that nature, correct?

The Serpent Rider wrote:

Silicone oil or grease.

cyclone3d wrote:

I've been using Mobile-1 full synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30... whatever I have on hand at the time. A drop or two of that and I've not yet had to re-oil a fan. Doesn't break down like petroleum based oils and doesn't gum up like grease or other stuff that separates and dries out... which is what silicone oil/grease will eventually do.

Hmm... two different suggestions. I guess then that car oil is the best way to go. However, are there any cons to synthetic motor oil, besides the fact that you can't easily get a little-little bottle of it? 🤣

cyclone3d wrote:

The S1 rev 2 is very light (268g) , so no worries about sagging at all. The one I linked is heavier (479g) due to it having fans and more fins. You can always use a string or something else to support the back corner if you are worried about sagging though.

Not sure I would trust the L2 to cool well enough. It is just a heatsink with a fan. Probably keep it within specs.. but I like to keep everything nice a really cool.

I see. That's relief.

Damn, I'm still leaning towards getting a brand-new more-powerful Arctic cooler, but it's nice to know that if I don't want to shell-out that $60 for that dual-fan model or $20 for that single fan model, I can always keep the NV Silencer, since that's apparently fine (again, though, 50C... 🤣).

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 19 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, then how would you do that?

Nibitor and nvflash.