VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has happened to me now 3 times with different systems. I install a voodoo 3 card and after that I install win98se that comes with directx 6.1a. After installing windows I install the driver for the voodoo 3. After that when running dxdiag, it shows that there is no 3d acceleration available.

I know I can fix that by installing newer directX version. If I install directX 8 or directX 9, 3d acceleration becomes available in dxdiag.
Is there any way I can keep older directx 6.1a that comes with the windows and make 3d acceleration to work with a voodoo 3 card? I have seen many people say in the forums that those newer directx versions are too new for voodoo 3.

Reply 3 of 9, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

directx versions are generally backward compatible with older ones. What they mean with DX7 is "too new" is, that voodoo 3 cards don't support all features (Hardware T&L beiing the big one). sticking with old versions of DirectX is pointless, you merely limit the software you can run even if that software would run on your hardware.

Reply 4 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just don't think any pc that has voodoo 3 can run any directx 8 or 9 games anyway, so there would be no harm in staying period correct directx versions too.

Reply 5 of 9, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I said, the only thing you accomplish is locking yourself out of games that require higher DirectX version but still run on it. DirectX 7 examples are Unreal tournament, DeusEx, Ultima IX ascension (which in its original release only worked reasonably on voodoo cards anyway),quake III and so on. Same with DirectX 8 and 9 titles. Just because a game requires a certain directX version it does not mean it actually uses the modern features. Even in the mid 2000s there were still some games that didn't even require hardware T&L.

BTW, DirectX 7 is from september 1999, the voodoo 3 released april 1999. period correctness is not exactly a valid argument here. And even with directX 8 (november 2000) is reasonable.

Reply 6 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I suggest not going beyond DirectX 7.0a on Win9x unless you have a good reason to. Some drivers can cause stability problems with DirectX 7.1 or later. Later Aureal drivers come to mind.

Reply 7 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using the drivers off Phil's page:
Earliest driver is voodoo3tm_driver_kit_1.03.04.zip (October 1999)
According to the readme.txt step 5 "Install DirectX 7.0"

Latest driver is voodoo3tm_driver_kit_1.07.00-whql.zip (November 2000)
According to the readme.txt step 6 "Install DirectX 7.0"

So 7.0 is the earliest you can use reliably