VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Eh? No. Rage had driver issues at its time, but they have been fairly ironed out later on. Latest drivers for Rage cards are m […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Avoid anything ATI related before the original Radeon.

Eh? No. Rage had driver issues at its time, but they have been fairly ironed out later on. Latest drivers for Rage cards are mostly trouble free and Rage 128 PRO is a fairly fast chipset, fairly comparable to a TNT2 or V3-2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7 … 8&v=NxTF85QUjzk

Phil's review does it justice here.

I agree with all of the above, I owned a day 1 rage 128 pro and was quite disappointed at launch but it was very quickly remedied by drivers. Most of the remnant benchmarks and reviews existing online are a bit skewed to the launch driver. I chose it over a voodoo 3 because I was sold on 32 bit color, which did look significantly better. It was a very good 32-bit card, but in 16-bit mode it was quite a bit slower than a voodoo 3. This is just another case of an ATi card being brushed off by history even though it was a decent card 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 22 of 22, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Overall Rage 128 series performance in OpenGL is still lacking, maybe due to a high driver overhead. Probably with some minor visual bugs in some isolated cases too.
Most of the mentioned games are OpenGL, with intention to be played in low res, so Phils barely playable high res results in 32-bit color are not very convincing in that specific scenario.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.