VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a P2B 400 MHz setup with an 8500DV primary and dual Voodoo 2 SLI graphics. I'm using the latest version (4.6) fastvoodoo2 drivers on a fresh 98SE installation. Right out the gate the only thing I did was install the 8500 drivers from AMD's website (which for some reason show as a 7500) and then installed the voodoos manually per the instructions 1 at a time. They both installed correctly and show up in device manager (although I remember my wallpaper used to change before but now it doesn't) and when I go to display properties, advanced and Voodoo 2 tab, the screen briefly flashes and then no new content shows up in the voodoo tab (it still shows the content of the previous tab) and the entire window is basically crashed/frozen. This happens every time I try to access that tab but I have no clue why.

Anybody had this happen before?

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 7, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I vaguely remember having this a long time ago, maybe because the v2's were installed manually? Try to install them using setup in the driver package, not manually adding them in device manager. Try original drivers

Reply 2 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try one card first and test them individually, also in 3d.

When that works try different slots, i had the most luck on the lowest pci slots with multiple sli setups. Als switching cards around can sometimes help, so make the master the slave and vice versa.
I prefer largely an identical set of cards. I know that mixed brands can work right but not every combo works.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 7, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thing is, I had it working just fine with the existing hardware configuration before. I changed nothing - all I did was reinstall 98 and now it doesn't work. So either something broke or it's a software issue. My cards are mismatched also so the fast drivers are the only ones I can technically use. I will run some tests on games but the fact they show up in device manager makes me think the cards are not defective at least.

Reply 4 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had defective cards show up fine and even the 3dfx tab working, but as soon as they were deployed the screen stayed black or froze.

But if your setup only stopped working after a clean install it must be a software issue... unless you did a fresh install because of the issues?

Reply 6 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe a bad connection? Try and clean the contacts on the cards.

Reply 7 of 7, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Contacts look ok although one of the 2 cards looks like it's been mounted to the underside of a jeep for 5 years. Made me wonder about buying it but the seller swore up and down it worked and indeed it seems to. That's not the one I have my crossover or monitor plugged into thank god. I think the vga cable would get hepatitis.