VOGONS

First post, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Card details can be found at - http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/ … cs-jeronimo-pro

Basically it is a PCI-to-PCI bridge with two separate Permedia 2 based video cards crammed onto one PCI card. Handy for running two monitors and not halving your graphics performance.

Supposedly for the time there was good Windows support but all I have found so far is a version 1.0 driver for NT over at Dell - https://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsd … driverid=r19501 - and I cannot find any 9x drivers or even an updated driver and there seems to be nothing in the Vogons Driver Library as well.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 1 of 17, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After crawling through what remains of the Appian website on the Wayback Machine it seems the critical downloads were not captured from any of the pages I have tried. 🙁

Come on, someone must have this driver.

Reply 3 of 17, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Driverguide's such a hard pill to swallow these days.
Anyways, that did it. It took a few minutes to navigate through the fake Download buttons but that did get me the driver package. I owe you. >_>

Reply 5 of 17, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is also this link for Win95 apparently https://www.dell.com/support/home/ro-ro/drive … driverid=r19500 (it's different from the one the OP posted)

Reply 6 of 17, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember this card. Still have one in a Abit IT5H with NT4 on its IBM 80 pin disk!

Inaccessible at the moment, but I fired it up 2018 or so and one disk did have w98 on it but I didn't boot it. I think W98 had drivers for one of the PCI ATI cards I had. I should find it...

It was an interesting card. With pharlap and some trickery it ran ACADr12d. It could 'viewport render' to the second screen when the desktop wasn't using it, or use as a desktop.

I'm thinking they made ATI based versions too?

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 7 of 17, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CwF wrote on 2021-04-13, 14:50:
I remember this card. Still have one in a Abit IT5H with NT4 on its IBM 80 pin disk! […]
Show full quote

I remember this card. Still have one in a Abit IT5H with NT4 on its IBM 80 pin disk!

Inaccessible at the moment, but I fired it up 2018 or so and one disk did have w98 on it but I didn't boot it. I think W98 had drivers for one of the PCI ATI cards I had. I should find it...

It was an interesting card. With pharlap and some trickery it ran ACADr12d. It could 'viewport render' to the second screen when the desktop wasn't using it, or use as a desktop.

I'm thinking they made ATI based versions too?

I personally don't know TBH. I got this card today for a test not knowing what it was.
The driver that was posted here seemed to work fine on my win98 test rig.
Tried "Croc 2" on it, in D3D 800x600x16 with everything maxed out, and worked very smooth. Tho, 1024x768x16 was kinda' pushing it..
Only graphical errors that i managed to spot during the game, were black squares around the "splashes" in the water.

A newer full driver with the utilities and all the bells & whistles, would be really nice...

Gave "www.appiantech.com" and "www.appian.com" a try on the WayBack Machine, but without success.. Didn't look any further, as i'm not sure if i'm going to keep the card. Kinda' hinges on what the seller will ask for it.. as i'm not really looking for another early D3D card... although this dual gpu card is kinda nice just for the novelty of it.

Reply 8 of 17, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do think there were versions, I have a J2N

In my archive:

Source/Archive/Hardware/Appian$  ls -1R
.:
Jeronimo J2N
v205j2.zip
w2kv110r1s.exe

./Jeronimo J2N:
HV98v1.02.027
j2uguide.pdf
juguide.pdf
w2kb101j2
w98v2053j2

./Jeronimo J2N/HV98v1.02.027:
data1.cab
data1.hdr
data2.cab
ikernel.ex_
layout.bin
readme.txt
setup.bmp
Setup.exe
Setup.ini
setup.inx
vssver.scc

./Jeronimo J2N/w2kb101j2:
BloombergW2K.doc
Cpl98.exe
Desk98.exe
FREEPCI.EXE
Hook98.dll
HydraDad.dll
HydraDeu.dll
HydraEnu.dll
HydraEsp.dll
HydraFif.dll
HydraFra.dll
HydraHlp.dll
HydraIta.dll
HydraJan.dll
HydraKor.dll
HydraNln.dll
HydraNon.dll
HydraPtb.dll
HydraSvs.dll
HydraZhs.dll
HydraZht.dll
INSTALL.TXT
J2NT50.DLL
J2Nt50.inf
J2NT50.SYS

./Jeronimo J2N/w98v2053j2:
appd2d.dll
appd3d.dll
initj.exe
J2m32thk.dll
J2modesw.dll
J2readme.txt
Show last 7 lines
J2W98.DRV
J2W98.inf
J2W98.vxd
mode62.bin
mode65.bi_
msvcirt.dl_
msvcrt40.dl_

Reply 9 of 17, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like I don't have the DOS drivers..

To use COPYSCR, you must load it into memory from the DOS prompt. After COPYSCR loads, it resides in computer memory until you u […]
Show full quote

To use COPYSCR, you must load it into memory from the
DOS prompt. After COPYSCR loads, it resides in
computer memory until you unload it. While residing
in memory, COPYSCR is always available for instant
operation.

So with hotkeys it can send to the other monitors, up to 4, in DOS!
I do remember being ahead of the times!

Reply 10 of 17, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So you guys mean to say that this card can do multi monitor.. in pure DOS ??????? 😳

(Only 2 monitors in my case , coz mine looks like this, but still!!)
Appian_Jeronimo_Pro.jpg

I read that there were some models with a special (bigger) connector that required a splitter adapter for up to 4 monitors.

L.E.
p.s. I decided to keep the card. Negotiated it to 6 euros + some repair favors to the seller 😀

Reply 11 of 17, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep!
The 'viewports' were not interactive. As I remember it's like sending a screenshot to the auxiliary monitors. In autocad for dos you could send renders, clips, layers and the like to the monitors for static display. I did get it mixed into NT4 (for smp) where a (can't remember) bat file loaded the needed memory driver, the utilities and ran full single screen DOS while the 'viewports' were not desktops.
Genuine WOW factor!
The 4 ports has 2 dual vga split cable to hdmi like connectors on the card(?) The dual is just dual vga on the card, as pictured.

I never gamed on it...maybe simcity.

Reply 12 of 17, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The driver in the dell link i posted has the following 4 files: makedisk.bat , makedisk.pif , de6486c1.exe , de6486c1.exe .
TBH they look more like DOS drivers than Win95. Will give them a try when i get the chance.
But it would be really awesome if someone had the full drivers & utilities suite, that would make this baby do all of it's magic! 😁

What i'm really curious, is that if the two Permedia 2 chips actually work together in improving 3d performance. Like the Ati Rage Fury MAXX did.

I also have another (single chip) Permedia 2 card:
http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/vlask/3dlabs … permedia2fb.jpg
and will put them head to head (in some games) when i get the time.
(Searching for drivers/documentation for ..every..single..piece..of vintage hardware that i buy, is starting to be really exhausting & off-putting 😒 )

Reply 13 of 17, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
B24Fox wrote on 2021-04-14, 19:06:

What i'm really curious, is that if the two Permedia 2 chips actually work together in improving 3d performance. Like the Ati Rage Fury MAXX did.

No, it's not sli or anything. I think there were mpeg drivers. I remember being able to watch DVD's on NT at the end of that computers usage. I think it's mostly openGL biased, a forerunner of professional cards not really for games. I can't help but think it should be in the list of good retro cards, it list NT3.51,4 w3.1, W95, W98, OS2, DOS in the pdf. Anything that could use DOS drivers could use the extra vga (3.1 or OS2) and NT4 like I was using. The multi-monitor in NT was not like W95+. It could drive different profiles on each vga, color profiles, refresh and resolutions.

Don't think I'll get to it, but I'm sure my NT box mentioned has all the goodies for NT. I can't remember the W98 episode other than I skipped it. After the IT5H I moved to various dual cpu boards, did use this card on a dual slot LX and remember putting it back in the Abit once my dual cpu builds started using W2k. I still have that peak system too, a P3TD-e6 dual 1.4, 4 GB, ATI Z2 agp-pro something... Those were the days!

Reply 14 of 17, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just peeked at it, not going to dig it all the way out...
Your card is some newer version. Mine is different, no big Intel chip, the two gpu dies are much bigger without heatsinks.
?

Reply 15 of 17, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it's not this one either??? http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/ … nimo-pro-4-port

L.E.

This is all I could find matching your description:

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/companies … labs-oxygen-rpm

You sure it has "Permedia 2" chips?

Or maybe it's not manufactured by "Appian" .. 😕

Later L.E. removed a link that was wrong

BTW, there's also this thing with 2 Cirrus Logic chips, also in the Jeronimo line from Appian: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Appia … mo_J2N-3041.jpg

Reply 16 of 17, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahah!
You're right, they are Cirrus 5462's!

So mine is not a 'PRO' which is likely much newer than this. My memory puts this card pre '97.

I remember considering the a new one, then I'm positive they made some with ati gpus' of some kind. Originally it was a DOS card as mentioned. I went from DOS to NT as w95 was coming on the scene. I might even be the original owner of this J2N!

Reply 17 of 17, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's why yours is so good with MS-Dos 😀

Because on Appian's website, i didn't see anything DOS related mentioned on the product & driver pages of the "Jeronimo PRO"

L.E. The cirrus chips from the card in the link have an early 1996 date code. And the PCB has 1995 .. So yeah 😁