VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the process of restoring a CRT that was left in my shed this is my first one that I have worked on and I found a green wire that starts from the main board near the flyback and then routs around and then just connects to nothing as it is a loop wire, then there is a black wire from the main board with a plug end as if it was meant to plug into something but it just routs as well and strangely passes between the wires of the flyback and then just sits in the middle of the motherboard. If the black wire was a ground why would it start from the main board and go through the flyback and then go to nothing? Would it have something to do with the automatic/manual degaussing function?

Weird%20Wire%201_zpssbeuorqx.jpg

weird%20wire%202_zpsnwsrnurb.jpg

weird%20wire%203_zpsxfhldegm.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The green one is likely some sort of sensing wire, similar to an antenna. The black one is strange, it should connect to neck board.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The monitor is a View Sonic E70 im not sure why it would have something like an antenna as its a standard monitor that doesn't have any external/buttons that would use an antenna but if its a sensing wire what what it be sensing? There is a wire plug that goes from the earth of the tube to the neck board and the only other plug on that board is occupied buy the VGA cable so unless it accidentally unplugged from the main board (which there doesn't seem to be any more pins to plug it into) it must just loosely sit there.

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "antenna" senses HV related stuff most probably, using it to counter breathing or some other effect etc. I wouldn't know until I see a schematic.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜