VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have picked up a Dell XPS T500 motherboard and tested it before building DOS/98SE machine but discovered couple things that I needed to ask:
Bios is A09. Using three 128MB PC100 OEM Micron (Micron offical stickers) memory.

Only way I can do is use PCI video cards in order to work.

I tried few AGP cards even TNT2 16MB ASUS card on this, no image even board initializes the keyboard no problem as part of POST sequence. Seems this is bit odd AGP compatibility going on with this oddball motherboard.

I'll get a P3B-F some day.

When going through POST screen, draws Dell logo slowly then tests memory slowly. Even PIII 500 is displayed correctly as 500Mhz. Is it not best one to have that slow?

I have many choices of motherboards choices from oldest to newest:

Socket 5 Pentium 200 board works great HX chipset.
Slot 1 PIII 500 (this)
Socket 370 coppermine 1GHz works great.
Athlon XP 1800+ AGP based on nforce 220 (uses 12V 3 phase VRM) from a HP computer. Athlon 2000+ CPU coming.
P4P800 (working) or P5P800 (socket 775 working) both are AGP.

I was thinking about keeping Pentium 200 for mostly DOS use and use socket 370 1GHz setup for mid end gaming win98 (this socket 370 815 chipset) board does have SB-link connector which is very rare and have to test that, would that sufficiently overlap for most games. Is the 1GHz PIII is too fast for very few yet Pentium 200 is too slow for some? If so, better get P3B-F board and use it for the middle to go in between both?

Anything old I have with PCIe is destined for XP and is not part of discussion.

I have yet to purchase number of sound cards, I was thinking about YMF7xx and also recommend decent sound card that works that are not creative? Also I wanted to use DSDMA for the nforce 220 and P4P800.

Thanks and cheers, pentiumspeed.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 5, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have the proper power supply for this? It requires that weird AT style connector as well as a 20 pin one.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what I am using an adapter to convert ATX to Dell style for this. But still not perfect as I tried number of video cards, Geforce2 and 4, Asus TNT2 AGP. No display, but can use PCI video cards with this.

I can resolder the dell style and shift the ATX connector over to ATX standard, remove the AT style connector but the bios Dell used is fussy and slow drawing the splash screen during POST boot up.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Reply 3 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used HP Z220 to download A11 bios from dell then transferred file to usb stick then stuck this into thinkpad R40 with floppy drive in ultrabay and created a bootable disk with bios update and updated the Dell XPS T500 motherboard to A11 with no problem using old PSU with standard ATX pinout from dell old SFF GX270 as it has 3.5" floppy power connector already on the bench.

And I checked CMOS battery, indeed is dead, so I replaced that with new one. This got AGP working properly. I am able to use several AGP cards with no problem and drawing the Dell splash is quicker.

Yet, I could not use a Asus V3800 16MB (plain TNT2 card) which worked in other boards with 4x AGP, and I can use FX1100 and FX2000, Geforce2 and Geforce4 including Ti 4200 series on this Dell motherboard is it the quirks of the dell or the asus V3800 TNT2 not compatible with this dell board? I have a TNT2 M64 PCI that worked on any boards even this dell board.

Cheers, pentiumspeed.

Reply 4 of 5, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

weird, I've used several TNT2 variants oeuvre the years on these Dells without issue. Even an FX5200

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know it was the cmos battery as got the same system.

I would say its just an incompatibility. This motherboard is a true Intel board so for stability is better then the P2B, of course stability comes at the cost of advanced/overclocking features though.