VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a bit confusing. I have an NEC MultiSync XV14 CRT monitor manufactured in 1995, and I've been lead to believe that this series of monitors is supposed to work with the PC-98 (which for the most part uses 640x400 25kHZ). When I hook my PC-98 up to it with an adapter, however, it doesn't show anything and just cycles through the LEDs on the control panel. Am I doing something wrong or is this monitor just not multisync-compatible even though it's labeled as one? Doesn't make sense why they'd call it that if that's the case...

It's a bit of a shame because I bet the 640x400 visuals would look so nice on it. I currently only have one monitor that works with the PC-98, an LCD Dell 16:10 VGA/DVI one, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as I bet it would on a CRT and it also crops the image with seemingly nothing I can do to fix it. But yeah, I'm not expecting much, but maybe somebody could shed some light on this issue. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 2, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, in the mid-90's MultiSync changed from meaning that the monitor can sync with a variety video modes, to simply being a model name. I've had a couple of later MultiSync monitors that were PC VGA only. I tried to get them to work with my Amiga or SCART-RGB consoles and they wouldn't.
Basically all you can do is google the model before buying and hope you can find a spec sheet telling you the modes and refresh rates it supports.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.