VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've come across an ELSA Gloria Synergy. I've Never heard of this card before and I saw that it had a Ram slot on it which is pretty interesting!

Does anyone know anything about this card? I guess ram from the Ram amount it is a generation earlier than a Nvidia TNT. Could I expect performance in that sort of area?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I have that card. I have not tested it, but I think it is a standard 8mb permedia 2 card. You can find permedia 2 reviews online easily. Workstation card, but you could consider It a voodoo 1 competitor mostly and came out betweeen voodoo 1 and voodoo 2.
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/news/item/17- … labs-permedia-2

Reply 2 of 15, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Permedia 2 is NOT a workstation card, I think. I had it back in the late 90s as a standard desktop/gaming card. Decent, but not stellar performance.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In many reviews they were called workstation cards. They say things like: "3Dlabs reoriented new Permedia to a "workstation" product with gaming abilities and remained silent about consumer market ambitions ever since."

Reply 4 of 15, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

Permedia 2 is NOT a workstation card, I think. I had it back in the late 90s as a standard desktop/gaming card. Decent, but not stellar performance.

They were most definitely entry level "Prosumer" workstation cards but they had passable 3D performance so some (i.e. Creative) were marketed more or less for gaming.

The Permedia 2 has a complete OpenGL ICD and was one of the very, very few chips capable of running Quake3 Test without so much as a hiccup when it first appeared. The only other chip I knew of that could do that on Day 1 was the i740, and I had both of them back then: An 8MB STB Glyder Max II (Permedia 2) and a 4MB Real 3D Starfighter.

In Quake 2 the particle effects as rendered by the Permedia 2 are pretty hard to beat. I remember an article about it basically gushing over how well the railgun's particle trail was so perfectly done on it over many of the other cards in the test but it's lack of some form of transparency was an issue. 16bit color in Q3T was horrendous thanks to atrocious dithering but at 24bit it looked really good but was a lot slower.

Last edited by misterjones on 2019-01-09, 20:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 15, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

In many reviews they were called workstation cards. They say things like: "3Dlabs reoriented new Permedia to a "workstation" product with gaming abilities and remained silent about consumer market ambitions ever since."

Context please. I wrote that about Permedia 3.

Reply 6 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Permedia 2 came in many Dell machines in 1997, including Dimension XPS. They were later replaced with Riva128 and Millennium II as the line was divided into home and workstation versions. It has some rudimentary 3D capabilities and game support but it's neither an interesting nor a desirable card IMO.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
Baoran wrote:

Context please. I wrote that about Permedia 3.

Sorry about that. I was doing searches about permedia 2 and I must have missed the permedia 3 part.

In any case I have 2 permdia 2 agp cards that just looked like standard office video cards to me and I had put them in my "junk office cards" box. One is gloria synergy+ compaq and the other one is a card made by stb systems that has permedia 2 chip on it.
I always thought they would be too slow for any agp system. Do they even use any agp features or is the agp interface just for show like with voodoo 3 cards?

Edit: I also never thought compaq branded card would be a gaming card. That is one reason why I assumed them being office cards or similar.

Reply 8 of 15, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

Do they even use any agp features or is the agp interface just for show like with voodoo 3 cards?

They do. And even AGP "just for show" at the very least doubles the bandwidth over PCI.

Reply 9 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
Baoran wrote:

Do they even use any agp features or is the agp interface just for show like with voodoo 3 cards?

They do. And even AGP "just for show" at the very least doubles the bandwidth over PCI.

I guess that would make them bad even for slow super socket 7 platforms since you would be facing the agp bugs?

Reply 10 of 15, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:
Putas wrote:
Baoran wrote:

I guess that would make them bad even for slow super socket 7 platforms since you would be facing the agp bugs?

Disable them then.

Reply 11 of 15, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

I'm not sure about the VIA SS7 chipsets, but the ALi Aladdin V based board I had worked just fine with my AGP Permedia2 card.

Reply 14 of 15, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the name suggests its an entry level professional card based on the permedia 2. Gloria was the Name of the Elsa professional graphic products. The extra memory can be used to extend the 4MB onboard memory to 8 MB. Versions existed with or without the memory slot soldered to the board as well as with and without optional video in and output. (btw, the Vi/Vo board in the Compaq manual looks much like the Winner 2000 on vgamuseum.info) As mentioned before the board was sold by several OEMs. I own some with Compaq part no as well as some spare memory boards. The Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro and Creative Graphic Blaster Exxtreme features the same chip and it was even used for some Alpha CPU based workstation by DEC. The Appian Jeronimo Pro features two Permedia 2 Chips on a single board. Interesting fact is Elsa released the Winner 2000 Office with the same chip in their Winner named office series.
eisapc