VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello VOGONS memebers!

So, if the title wasn't enough ( 😀 ), I'm trying to modify some drivers for my monitor to work under XP. For my main rig (which is both a Windows 10 machine as well as an OP XP machine, you know, so that I can run Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 at over 500fps, and F.E.A.R. at around or over 100fps, all at 1440p 😀 ), I am using the Dell S2417DG, a 1440p Gsync monitor, and a nice one at that. Dell provides drivers for the monitor, but only for Windows 7-10. However, what I want to do is edit the Windows 7 32-bit driver (probably they are all the same driver, but still) so that I can manually install the driver under XP, in order to try to get the monitor correctly detected as a monitor, and not as an HDTV by Nvidia drivers.

Doing a side-by-side comparison of the S2417DG's .inf file, and that of the Dell 1707FP, which does have an XP driver, the only "key" difference that I could tell between both files are the addition of these lines in the 1707FP's .inf file, presumably needed for installing the driver under XP (both driver's .inf files can be found attached to this post):

[ClassInstall32]
AddReg=ClassAddReg32

[ClassAddReg32]
HKR,,,,%MonitorClassName%
HKR,,Icon,,"-1"
HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1

Now, this is where I need you guys' help. What does this do, is it necessary for XP driver installation, should I be able to add these lines (with maybe some modification) to get the S2417DG's driver to install, and, if that's not enough, is there anything else I should add/remove from the S2417DG's .inf file to get it to work?

I know I could just experiment by myself, but I would like some feedback before I try anything for best effect. 😀

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Filename
    1707FP.txt
    File size
    2.04 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    S2417DG.txt
    File size
    2.33 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welp, since no one has given any feedback as of yet, and since it's not like I'm doing anything serious, I decided to do some trial and error.

So, for reference, when I try installing the driver as-is, this would happen:
PC0dbZD.png

The line that caught me was:

A service installation section in this INF is invalid.

Okay, so, why was it giving me that error? I tried injecting that code from the older Dell monitor's inf file, but that did nothing - still the same error.

So, I took another look at the S2417DG's inf file, and found these lines:

[S2417DG_HDMI.Install.Services]
AddService=monitor, %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE%, Monitor_Service.Install

[S2417DG_DisplayPort.Install.Services]
AddService=monitor, %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE%, Monitor_Service.Install

[Monitor_Service.Install]
ServiceType=1
StartType=3
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\monitor.sys

These lines where the only ones in the file to mention "services", so I tried commenting them out, and BAM!, I was able to install the driver!

My guess is this line:

ServiceBinary=%12%\monitor.sys

Just trying to search the "WINDOWS" directory turns up no results - XP does not have such a file. On the other hand, searching for the file turns up 3 results under Windows 10 (I would also assume that 7 and 8.X have such a file too, since there are Windows 7 and 8.X drivers for this monitor).

Then the new question is this: What am I missing out with this edited driver without those "services", and are there any "monitor.sys" equivalents under XP (either in terms of files or features) that could potentially allow me to uncomment those lines and enable those services?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I don't know much about this issue. Monitor.sys really seems to be Win 7+.
Closest thing I found so far: https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/E2414 … or/td-p/4299507

Anyway, the main purpose of the monitor-detection used to be the applying of the correct colour settings.
At least in the Win 9x days. Maybe it is also required now for other things, like controlling the monitor
via EDID and other technologies, not sure.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, I don't know much about this issue. Monitor.sys really seems to be Win 7+.
Closest thing I found so far: https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/E2414 … or/td-p/4299507

That does then confirm that it was the absence of "monitor.sys" that threw off Windows XP. I might try taking "monitor.sys" from a Windows Vista or 7 install I have on another computer and try implanting that into my XP install, but I doubt that would work, since it was written for a newer version of Windows. The question still remains, then: Is there a "monitor.sys" equivalent under XP, or not?

Jo22 wrote:

Anyway, the main purpose of the monitor-detection used to be the applying of the correct colour settings.
At least in the Win 9x days. Maybe it is also required now for other things, like controlling the monitor
via EDID and other technologies, not sure.

I'm not sure either. Just know it helps to have a driver for your monitor installed if such a driver is available. 🤣

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 4 of 5, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found here http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/
General purpose (98) Monitor INF, not sure if that style will work in XP - I'm sure there was a site or tool that can do it - Apparently Powerstrip can, not sure if the shareware has that unlocked

Reply 5 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matth79 wrote:

Found here http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/
General purpose (98) Monitor INF, not sure if that style will work in XP - I'm sure there was a site or tool that can do it - Apparently Powerstrip can, not sure if the shareware has that unlocked

Thanks for that resource. Don't know if I'll need it, but it's good to have options. 😀

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png