VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just finished building/restoring a socket 7 with an early version of the FIC VT-503 motherboard with a BIOS date of October 1997. My intent with the computer was to use one of two TNT M64s that I have based on what I've heard about that card''s compatibility. Both cards will boot my socket 370 system. However, with this new system, one card throws a BIOS error and the other will boot the system but shows corruption on the screen. The system will boot and provide good video quality with the card that came with system, a trident unit I believe.

What gives? I know the TNT M64 is a few years newer than the motherboard, but the motherboard seems fairly modern for a socket 7 board, as it supports SDRAM and I think K6-2 processors. So I thought the card would work fine.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What power supply are you using? How old is it? Could be that the system is having trouble supplying enough power for the M64 which I am pretty sure uses more power than a Trident based card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

What power supply are you using? How old is it? Could be that the system is having trouble supplying enough power for the M64 which I am pretty sure uses more power than a Trident based card.

It's a 235W or so AT unit that is original to the case ~1997 vintage. I don't have an AT to ATX adapter yet. That's probably my problem. I have an older AT 200W unit I could try.

Reply 3 of 3, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It wasn't the power supply. I tried a 450W ATX Antec unit with an AT to ATX adapter. Same result. One card won't post. The other card puts garbage on the screen. Motherboard BIOS update next?