VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm not finding a lot of info on this card.

Searching for Tomahawk VLB only shows a couple that have been sold. The BIOS has a 1993 date on it.

on the back, there is a model # TOMA9-00990

I am finding some references to an "Alaris Tomahawk" that shipped with some systems in some old PCmag archives, but that's it.

I am planning to benchmark this against my small collection of VLB graphics cards soon

20190120_235406.jpg
Filename
20190120_235406.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 1 of 6, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried searching by the chip markings? (CL-GD5426)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 6, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

Have you tried searching by the chip markings? (CL-GD5426)

I forgot to add that i did that as well. the problem is so many different VLB boards use that processor, and the board layouts all look a bit different.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 3 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How much the specs matter really? I thought that any card with the same chip and same ram speed from that period of time would have pretty much the same performance. What kind of specs you are exactly looking for?

Reply 4 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's typical CL5426 card with non-upgradable 1mb 70ns memory. Good built quality, but nothing spectacular.
More or less on par with well documented CL5428 in DOS. Both share the same chip clock speed - 80mhz.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 6, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have it with 5428, it has very good video output, i was really surprised, another cirrus samples had max mediocre analog quality. it has also a ws jumper, slightly faster - it is good for 1993 (and slow for later).

it is a very good compatible card for a 93 rig.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene