VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I built a mini-itx desktop pc with a mini-itx case based on a D2500HN board with the Atom D2500 dual core, 4GB DDR3, SSD and latest LxQt/linux. Everything works good for a total of less than 20 watts system, but I have problems with the GMA 3600 integrated vga that seems to be not really well optimized for Linux graphic interface and it's working with the basic xorg acceleration (fbdev,fbdevhw,vesa etc..) and so everything feels not really fast in the 2D usage.
The case is really thin and I don't know if I can install in its old single PCI slot a low profile pci nvidia or amd card but I'd like to ask you if you know which lowest profile card I could try with the lowest dimensions because the case is not much larger than the motherboard itself.

Thank

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which case are you using? Usually the really low-profile mITX cases have space for a PCI riser, which would allow a full-height PCI card. If not, is it a regular low-profile slot? If so, any low profile PCI card would fit. And if it's not that - well then we really need to know the exact height.

Low-profile PCI cards look like this:
img_9704_2.jpg

Slightly offtopic, but with the current state of driver support, I'd thoroughly recommend ATi/AMD cards over nVidia ones. I've had huge issues even getting a system to boot through to X with older nVidia cards no longer supported by the newest drivers in whatever distro I was using.

Reply 2 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ agreed. I have a couple FirePro 2260 (HD3450-equivalent) "old"-PCI cards that I've had good luck with. They work with the standard open source Xorg-Radeon drivers (which are reasonably good on modern distros), you can game on them, etc. Not the fastest things around, and no AMDGPU/Vulkan support, but for a PCI card that's half decent in Linux they're a good choice.

35.jpg
Filename
35.jpg
File size
237.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I picked up both of these for ten bucks each. Don't mind my hacked-together bracket on the left one. 😜 You can also get them with a standard small-form-factor bracket.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Which case are you using? Usually the really low-profile mITX cases have space for a PCI riser, which would allow a full-height […]
Show full quote

Which case are you using? Usually the really low-profile mITX cases have space for a PCI riser, which would allow a full-height PCI card. If not, is it a regular low-profile slot? If so, any low profile PCI card would fit. And if it's not that - well then we really need to know the exact height.

Low-profile PCI cards look like this:
img_9704_2.jpg

Slightly offtopic, but with the current state of driver support, I'd thoroughly recommend ATi/AMD cards over nVidia ones. I've had huge issues even getting a system to boot through to X with older nVidia cards no longer supported by the newest drivers in whatever distro I was using.

The case is a iTek Spirit ITX 130W with the space for the notebook drive and a ssd on the back. The strange thing is that the vga hole is already on the back of the case at the pci position already cutted in the case metal in a fixed position and i can't put a vga card that doesn't fit in the same position. So that dvi card would not enter in the connector hole.

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, iTek has a really crappy English website - 'Download' link on the main page links back to the main page, even though https://www.itekevo.com/en/download/ does exist, but links through to the Italian page. In Italian it does all work. Unfortunately there's still nothing more than a very, very brief datasheet for the Spirit case...

I'm not at all sure that hole is actually VGA (i.e. DE15) shaped, but without documentation there's not much more to go on. If it's as oblong as it looks in iTek's picture I'd suspect a DVI port might just fit.

Is this the case (and the hole) we are talking about?

8945-7275975.jpg

Reply 5 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Wow, iTek has a really crappy English website - 'Download' link on the main page links back to the main page, even though https://www.itekevo.com/en/download/ does exist, but links through to the Italian page. In Italian it does all work. Unfortunately there's still nothing more than a very, very brief datasheet for the Spirit case...

I'm not at all sure that hole is actually VGA (i.e. DE15) shaped, but without documentation there's not much more to go on. If it's as oblong as it looks in iTek's picture I'd suspect a DVI port might just fit.

Is this the case (and the hole) we are talking about?

Yes that's the case but in the one I have the hole in the metal seems to be a correct VGA but still fixed in the same position. Maybe one specific vga card model was intended for this case, I don't read any info on the official specs.
Not a bad case but its power supply died itself after few weeks (with a AM1 25W board..) and I had to buy a picoPSU 20pin to power the Atom board.