VOGONS

First post, by exs1s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need some assistance with a Compaq LTE Lite 4/25E that has a screen issue. This model has an Active Matrix Black and White VGA Display as shown in the pictures.

From Compaq: This model has a 9.5” (24.1 cm) diagonal COMPAQ UltraView -- a Compaq-exclusive display unique with the COMPAQ LTE Lite Family of notebook PCs. It is a brilliant active matrix black and white VGA display that offers superior performance advantages including fast response, wide viewing angle, and extremely sharp, clear images in true black and white. It can display 16 gray scales in 640 x 480 (VGA) resolution, and 64 gray scales in 320 x 200 resolution. With an optional external VGA monitor, the system also has simultaneous display capability.

When the machine first powers on, the screen is crisp and clear. Then, after about 2-3 minutes, the corners start looking like the images below. The corners gradually get dimmer and dimmer until they look so dim, there's no longer a visible image in the corners. It happens to all 4 corners.

My thoughts were, at first, the backlight, or inverter. But surely if it was the backlight the whole screen would be affected. And surely, if it was the inverter the whole screen would dim down.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.... Here are the images.

IMG_3183.JPG
Filename
IMG_3183.JPG
File size
308.62 KiB
Views
File comment
Entire Screen
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_3184.JPG
Filename
IMG_3184.JPG
File size
199.82 KiB
Views
File comment
Top Left
File license
IMG_3185.JPG
Filename
IMG_3185.JPG
File size
222.26 KiB
Views
File comment
Bottom Left
File license

file.php?id=57163

Current Models:
LTE Lite 4/25
LTE Lite 4/33
LTE Elite 4/75
Deskpro 386s
Prolinea

Please also join my Facebook Group

Reply 2 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if it was whole screen at the same time I would say bias voltage, corners only is the same thing as happened to ancient Macintosh portables, old age disease

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 12, by exs1s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DankEngihn wrote:

If you adjust the screen brightness does it change?

No, it stays the same.

file.php?id=57163

Current Models:
LTE Lite 4/25
LTE Lite 4/33
LTE Elite 4/75
Deskpro 386s
Prolinea

Reply 4 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks like damage to the panel. Does applying pressure in the corners do anything useful ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 12, by exs1s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Makes no difference, applying pressure. And it’s only when the screen has been on for a while.

Last edited by exs1s on 2019-01-26, 13:52. Edited 1 time in total.

file.php?id=57163

Current Models:
LTE Lite 4/25
LTE Lite 4/33
LTE Elite 4/75
Deskpro 386s
Prolinea

Reply 6 of 12, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's called "vignetting", otherwise known as failure of the CCFL backlight, losing gas like a 240V used to in the day. Options are to find a better LCD, or work out someway to remove the CCFL backlighting and replace, with same or LED strip lights.

Reply 7 of 12, by exs1s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not the backlight at all. I have replaced the flourescent tube with an LED strip, then even replaced the clear perspex and added a brand new diffuser sheet. Problem is still there I'm afraid.

file.php?id=57163

Current Models:
LTE Lite 4/25
LTE Lite 4/33
LTE Elite 4/75
Deskpro 386s
Prolinea

Reply 8 of 12, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exs1s wrote:

It's not the backlight at all. I have replaced the flourescent tube with an LED strip, then even replaced the clear perspex and added a brand new diffuser sheet. Problem is still there I'm afraid.

Sigh, so original LCD is irreparable.

Reply 9 of 12, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
exs1s wrote:

OK, you didn't state that.

It's moisture getting into the substrate of the LCD. Where did you get the diffuser sheet from?

Reply 10 of 12, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LCD can't be fixed, and replacements are hard if not impossible.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 12 of 12, by exs1s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
libv wrote on 2022-01-26, 20:34:

Some youtuber has replaced his screen, and google tells me the Citizen H6480L-FT can be bought new-old-stock for 30usd from ebay.us

Careful, there are 3 different screens for the Lite models.

file.php?id=57163

Current Models:
LTE Lite 4/25
LTE Lite 4/33
LTE Elite 4/75
Deskpro 386s
Prolinea