VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Because I've changed several components since my initial Windows 98 SE install, and it began to get a little bloated as a result, I decided to format the HDD and re-install. Since I bought the ATI Rage 128 Pro, I have noticed slight graphical corruption when Windows 98 was on that little animated boot screen, but that was only once from what I could gather. I have opened Windows 98 SE setup several times, and I'd estimate that around 50% of the time, this occurs:

IMG_20190125_212146.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190125_212146.jpg
File size
729.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The computer continues to function normally. Theoretically, I could just continue setup; but I don't want to risk damaging any components. I have made sure the card is cooled, as there is a 120mm fan that runs air sucked in from the front panel by an 80mm fan inside the case directly over the Rage 128's heatsink, and in effect, the sound and network cards as well. I don't know what I'm missing here. The card functions normally in BIOS and DOS without this graphical corruption present. I don't know what's causing this, as it is very strange. Some things to note:

- Plug 'n Play is enabled in the BIOS settings- this is something I'm trying out that I've never tried before, but I doubt that this is the cause- it's an AGP card, so Plug 'n Play shouldn't really apply to it. (I also started the setup program with Plug 'n Play disabled on the motherboard- the same exact thing happened)
- I am using a "new" sound card, but in Windows, the sound card worked fine, and none of this graphical corruption was present.
- I did overclock the card with Rage Tweaker, but I had it set to stop the overclock after the reboot, and I believe that the overclock was reliant on the software to go through. I ended up overclocking it by 12% on the core, and 16% on the memory, as shown by Everest Home Edition.

I can't think of why it would work fine in DOS and BIOS, but start doing this garbage in Windows 98 SE setup. I don't know if there's anything I'm missing.

Where am I?

Reply 2 of 13, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

Try different VGA cable.

I used a different VGA cable, and the problem still persists. I would think that if it was an issue with the VGA cable, the corruption would appear in all video modes, not just VGA 640x480x16, but I guess the cable could've had damage in the areas where the information for a more complex video mode like that was transmitted, and it didn't have any damage where DOS would've sent frequencies through.

I fear that my video card is dying, or that I'm doing something wrong. I just don't get why everything works great right up until the point where I start Windows 98 setup.

Where am I?

Reply 3 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah it seems to me you need a new vga... image like this is a dead giveaway of a semi-dead card

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 13, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

yeah it seems to me you need a new vga... image like this is a dead giveaway of a semi-dead card

I just got this card a little over a week ago. It was the first actual time-accurate card that I have- I'd have to return to that garbage TNT2 card that I have if this one was on its way out. I won't be able to get another good card like this for a very long time, if this is really the case.

I'm hoping that this isn't a bad card, because I have very few options if it is.

Where am I?

Reply 5 of 13, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I changed it out with a couple of other cards, including an apparently failed S3 Savage 2000 (the PC refused to POST at all with that in there, and it kept beeping at me), and then I put in an Intel i740 AGP GPU, it POSTed, I was able to get to Windows 98 SE setup, and there was no problems, as I was checking to see if it was something like the monitor or the motherboard.

I put back in the Rage 128, and Windows 98 SE setup ran fine at first. After the first stage, the same problems appeared, but I continued through setup and now Windows 98 SE boots up fine to the desktop without any corruption. If this thing is failing, I've at least got a couple of months or so before it kicks the bucket. I'll install drivers and see how it does with games. Hopefully, it'll pull through until I can get a replacement card of some kind. If it lasts long enough, I might not even need to replace it.

It may have just been a weird thing with the drivers that Win98 setup uses, I have no clue.

Where am I?

Reply 6 of 13, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it only does that artifacting during the setup, it's probably just some quirk of the setup software and nothing to worry about. I don't think a card with bad video memory ICs (whether or not that's what's the matter with your card) would necessarily pose a hazard to the rest of the system in the meantime, either. If you install the drivers, run some applications and/or 3D games (e.g. put an actual legit load on the GPU), and then see the same or similar artifacting going on, that's when you should start worrying that the card is kaput.

Reply 7 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree, looks like a exotic quirk and the video card is fine.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if the corruption is there all the way through 98SE setup..
Because, the first part of setup is based on a cut-down Windows 3.1 (mini.cab) with a vga driver (if setup was started from DOS).
Second part is Windows 9x then. You'll notice the transition by looking at the dialog windows.
Windows 3.x has a white background and rounded buttons; Win 9.x is gray with rectangular buttons.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 13, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem seems to be with the VGA connector on the card itself, or the cable (I changed that out with a new one earlier, though). The same weird lines came up on the Windows 98 desktop, I unplugged the cable, and when I plugged it back in, they stuck on some parts of the screen, like the taskbar, but went away on others when I moved any windows that had the bars on them.

It's very strange. If the windows with those bars refreshed in any way when I re-plugged the VGA cable back in, the bars would go away. On reboot, the problem is gone again.

I don't think this is a life-threatening issue with the card as much as I think that it's something weird with the connector or something like that. I'm not sure.

Where am I?

Reply 10 of 13, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried a different monitor to rule out an issue with the current one? You can also try using some contact cleaner it could be oxidation on the connector causing a bad connection.

Reply 11 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like video ram going bad to me.....

One last thing you can try: Clean the agp connector on the card. But again, I think the memory on the card is dying.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 13, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens if you wiggle the VGA cable on the card side when those artifacts are onscreen? Do the artifacts jump around, change shape, or disappear? Do they get worse? Maybe it's some cold solder joints on one of the ICs or the VGA output connector that get (dis)connected whenever the card PCB is flexed a little.

Reply 13 of 13, by YeetStreet9x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

like meljor said, looks like bad video ram to me. I just ran into this with my 7800 gt in my XP setup a few days ago. and my previous geforce 2 gts in my win9x build exhibited the same issue, it then later on fully died and is now replaced temporarily with a all-in-wonder card. as a last resort you could bake the card, but that really is a last ditch attempt.

Win98se: 1.5GHz P4, 512mb, AiW 7500 agp, SBLive! ct4760
WinXP: 2.4GHz Q6600, 4gb, Quadro FX 3700, Audigy 2 ZS SB0350
Current: Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb, RTX 2060, HDMI to Yamaha Receiver
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad P50, i7 6700HQ, 32gb, M1000M