VOGONS

First post, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"WARNING - Not enough displays to enable this driver. Add another display device and try again."

I get this error every time I try to enable my DVI output on my Radeon 9500. I've drive both 5.9 and 6.2 drivers but same error.

I've also tried booting straight into w98 with the VGA cable unplugged and just the dvi cable attached. The TV gets no signal. Trying to set the DVI output though VNC in this manner yields the same result.

Computer will post, show the W98 splash - but once the OS loads only my VGA output will ever work. I've tried looking for this error other places and though the forum but have not had any luck and I'm struggling to solve it.

Using Windows XP no issues with dvi output either mirrored or extended display keeping both VGA monitor and my HDTV plugged in.

I'm hoping someone has come across this error in the past - it is a new one on me. Other than that my PC is running flawlessly. No IRQ conflicts, zippy performance, runs everything I want it to!

Basic PC specs are:
Brand: Medion Model MT5 Computer
Motherboard: MSI 6399 with intel i845D chipset - (Same as the MD-3000 Mother Board as found here - just made for medion) http://msi-ftp.de/Manuals/6399-engl-MS-6399-MedionMD3000.pdf
Processor: P4 2.8 Northwood socket 478
Memory: 2gb ram (limited to 768mb though software in windows 98- works fine)
Video Card: AMD Radeon 9500/9700 AGP 4x (Device ID 4e45 - https://devicehunt.com/view/type/pci/vendor/1002/device/4E45)
Modem: PC TEL v.90 Modem
Network: On board Realtek 8139 NIC
Audio: On Board CMI8738

VEsqVdr.png

Reply 1 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd try an older driver. 4.2 or 3.8 perhaps. Strange problem!

I wonder if it's an EDID problem with the TV. Something that manifests with 98. I've also seen some behavior variation with ATI driver releases and how they interpret EDID data. Do you have any other DVI monitors to try?

Reply 2 of 14, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I wonder if it's an EDID problem with the TV. Something that manifests with 98. I've also seen some behavior variation with ATI driver releases and how they interpret EDID data. Do you have any other DVI monitors to try?

I'm leaning toward this. I've tried 4.2, Omega, 5.9, 6.1 all same thing. I have a monitor but no dvi cable ha! Only the HDMI>DVI adapter that I use on the TV that works w/xp and post.

Reply 3 of 14, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thepolish wrote:
swaaye wrote:

I'm leaning toward this. I've tried 4.2, Omega, 5.9, 6.1 all same thing. I have a monitor but no dvi cable ha! Only the HDMI>DVI adapter that I use on the TV that works w/xp and post.

Following up again - tried a different TV (we have 2 desktops and use 2 different 32" TVs as monitors) - the Vizio brand with the same HDMI>DVI cable setup and it works with W98. It is my Samsung that the card/W98 doesn't seem to like. I guess my only options are to swap monitor/tvs or find a KVM that will act as a middle man so to speak and inject an EDID to force windows to pick it up. Not sure if you can FORCE Windows to output over that DVI.

Reply 4 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh the modern equivalent of this is I had two rokus with me and gave one to some co-workers at a hotel and I had the other one. Their roku wouldn't work on their TV so I had the brilliant idea of switching rokus and it worked fine. Would be interesting to know what's going on behind the scenes for these devices.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 14, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good conversation here on Ars technica - and I think its similar to what I'm fighting with - they're talking about overscan but I think the bad data /lack of data being sent to the W98 box is a good jumping off point for me. I'm hoping I can tweak SOMETHING to get this to output on this TV. https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=24770773

Reply 7 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I've seen that behavior. The ATI BIOS works differently with the EDID than their drivers.

You could try a EDID simulator. I have a DVI model from Startech. But they aren't cheap and I'm not sure if it will work. I had some funky problems with it and older ATI drivers.

You may just want to live with VGA. 😀

Reply 8 of 14, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

But really you may just want to live with VGA. 😀

I would except for my desk setup - I don't want to have 2 "monitors" on my desk! I ordered an active vga to hdmi cable (vga output from device to hdmi to monitor) and we'll see how it goes. Reviews seem legitimate.

I want my writing / working space open w/o that other monitor. Good place to store joysticks and what not!

3Oiy5Kf.jpg

Reply 9 of 14, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheap active vga to hdmi worked. But capacitor blew. Went to replace and I've never had this issue but I burnt out a ring in the pcb so I've toasted the motherboard. I'm kicking myself because I spent the last year rebuilding this (was my first xp machine, piece of my youth I guess) and now it's gone. Ughhhh 😢 😢

Reply 10 of 14, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More to come - we'll see if a different motherboard makes any difference (different chipset too). Just purchased for about $47 USD

Asus P5PE-VM
Pentium 4 651 (Cedar Mill 3.4GHz) (LGA 775 instead of my old 478)

Will report if a different motherboard changes the equation or if its just that MSI board / 845 chipset combo that didn't allow DVI on windows 98.

Reply 11 of 14, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would seem it is the TV for sure with the dvi on this card and W98.

Finally got the new mobo working (nos board had blown caps I had to replace).

Strangely this board has quite a few quirks that my 478 board didn't and maybe I'll do a post on it, but software wise 98se2me will NOT WORK with this board/setup.

As far as the video card - finally broke down and bought a vga to hdmi active cable and that allowed for the TV to be used. Moral of the story - newer Samsung tvs don't play well with 9500 ati cards in w98 for dvi output. Regardless of other hardware configuration.

Reply 12 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah you could also experiment with a DVI EDID simulator. Expensive but handy. I actually got some old cards successfully working with my 4K TV HDMI yesterday by putting the EDID emulator in the middle and telling the cards it's a 1600x1200 monitor.

Reply 14 of 14, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might try that. Right now the biggest issue I have is it will output to 1080 but then it doesn't fill the screen, only makes the big screen panable / scrollable.

That and I tried kernelex with all the subs to 2018 and broke daemon tools 🤣