VOGONS

First post, by DerJesus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently, My Voodoo5 5500 fans gave up the ghost. The bearings were horrible, and honestly sounded like they were grinding on dust. My attempt to fix them didn't work (it actually had it worse, for one of them), so, I decided to get some new ones.
I found a pair of those ripoff Thermshield fans from way back when, but they were cheap, and one of the fan blades flew off while the card was in use.
I'm hoping someone here might be able to direct me to somewhere where I can get a new pair of fans, or if someone has a cool suggestion for replacement fans or heatsinks, I'm all ears, apart from placing a big Noctua fan on a slab of aluminum on top of the chips (you probably know what picture I'm referring to). I'd like to keep this thing looking nice and mostly original.
I'd really like to use this card, again. Please help out, if you can.

Reply 1 of 3, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's one option:

Has Anyone Done Any Quantitative Tests to Determine How Much Better a Third-Party Heatsinks Performs on a Voodoo5 5500? - It's a 2-pin fan, though, and you'll have to splice the connector from the old fan.

You can use other 40x40 fans (10mm, for e.g.) but you might need different screws. Your local Fastenal or equivalent might have what you need.

Reply 2 of 3, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerJesus wrote:
Recently, My Voodoo5 5500 fans gave up the ghost. The bearings were horrible, and honestly sounded like they were grinding on du […]
Show full quote

Recently, My Voodoo5 5500 fans gave up the ghost. The bearings were horrible, and honestly sounded like they were grinding on dust. My attempt to fix them didn't work (it actually had it worse, for one of them), so, I decided to get some new ones.
I found a pair of those ripoff Thermshield fans from way back when, but they were cheap, and one of the fan blades flew off while the card was in use.
I'm hoping someone here might be able to direct me to somewhere where I can get a new pair of fans, or if someone has a cool suggestion for replacement fans or heatsinks, I'm all ears, apart from placing a big Noctua fan on a slab of aluminum on top of the chips (you probably know what picture I'm referring to). I'd like to keep this thing looking nice and mostly original.

Noctua has 40 mm fans.
I use a few of:
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-flx
They come with quite a bunch of accessories and converters (wich somewhat excuses the price).

Heres one with a remade cable on an ABIT KT7A:

funGqK0l.jpg

Reply 3 of 3, by DerJesus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote:
Noctua has 40 mm fans. I use a few of: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-flx They come with quite a bunch of accessories and convert […]
Show full quote
DerJesus wrote:
Recently, My Voodoo5 5500 fans gave up the ghost. The bearings were horrible, and honestly sounded like they were grinding on du […]
Show full quote

Noctua has 40 mm fans.
I use a few of:
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-flx
They come with quite a bunch of accessories and converters (wich somewhat excuses the price).

Heres one with a remade cable on an ABIT KT7A:

funGqK0.jpg

I remember seeing these! They looked like they'd be really nice (would be nice if Noctua made them in black, like some of their larger fans). I have a kit coming for crimping wires and putting on new terminators. Thanks!