VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I have this card (Geforce256 SDR) for some time but have never tried the DVI out. Finally I tried it but there is no signal out. I even think the machine freezes - it won't even do any beeps.

I have inspected the card and the DVI addon part. On the back side of the DVI addon part it says DVIA. Would this mean DVI-A (DVI-Analog)?

Does anyone have any experience with this Erazor X DVI - does it work with standard DVI cable and on standard LCD monitors?

Thanks

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think it's DVI-A. I have a SGI V3 (GeForce 256 DDR with DVI). The DVI is limited to about 1280x1024. It definitely can't do 1600x1200. If you attach a monitor with a native resolution that exceeds its capabilities you probably won't get a signal and the PC may not POST.

GeForce 2 with DVI is the same way. A Quadro 2 Pro in my case.

A DVI EDID emulator can get them working with a monitor beyond their capabilities. You essentially tell the card they are attached to a lesser monitor and the card blissfully outputs whatever lower resolution you set. VGA is probably the way to go though.

Reply 2 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I connect both DVI and VGA cables none works. I only have 1680x1050 monitor that I can test with. Maybe I should try different cables.

I've read on another forum that one owner also had problems with DVI out on this card. That's why I'm asking about DVI-A. Although the connector on the card seems to be standard DVI-D.

Here are some photos of DVI area:

0UpGsM1m.jpg

Reply 3 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's on the top side of the card? Is there a Silicon Image DVI interface chip?

I don't see why they would put a DVI-A output on a card instead of dual VGA outs. It's probably DVI-D. And it probably won't work with a 1680x1050 monitor. Just use VGA and disconnect DVI.

Here is my DVI GF 256.

hYMfNUfO_t.jpg DE8MxeNO_t.jpg

Reply 4 of 6, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GeForce 256 doesn't support dual-head. So either VGA or DVI monitor but not both at the same time.
Also because of this the DVI port must be DVI-D because it makes no sense to put DVI-A (or DVI-I) on the card.

As for the resolution - 1280x1024 is definitely on the safe side. 1600x1200 perhaps could work, most of the time the Silicon Image TMDS on these cards supports that. Wide resolutions could be a problem. I have NV10 Quadro at hand, perhaps I can try how DVI works there.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 6, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is DVI-D, as it is missing the 4 analog pins around the large flat pin

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 6 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Connector is defenitely DVI-D and I thought the output would work as with newer cards. That it will show BIOS/DOS video 😕