VOGONS

First post, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question for Phil or anyone who knows.
Does anyone have a savegame for the interior ship section that apparently is cpu killer/benchmark mentioned in Phil's videos on YouTube?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 1 of 4, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't recall which youtube video, but it was a mere mention by Phil about getting under 10fps on even Pentium-generation machine.

Having played this game, I just don't recall which part Phil speaks of.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember seeing this too - but unfortunately as I am not interested in WC games I don't remember the details :\

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always thought the bad performance was during when your ships is being launched at start of any mission. Phil always said that performance gets better once you clear the hangar.

Reply 4 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

I always thought the bad performance was during when your ships is being launched at start of any mission. Phil always said that performance gets better once you clear the hangar.

The performance drop happens while your ship is inside the hangar--doesn't matter whether at the beginning or ending of a mission. It is a cpu bottleneck and tends to go away at around 266-333Mhz (PII, K6-2).

I believe from mission 1 you can experience this, no special save needed to get to it.

edit: And I believe this happens in WC3 as well a WC4. It's been a couple of years since I played so hopefully my memory has not become corrupted.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks