VOGONS

Best PCI VGA for a K6-III+

Topic actions

First post, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got myself recently an Epox MVP4 based, motherboard, this EP-MVP4A to be precise.

It's a rare find, almost in mint condition and fully working. I'm going to stuff in one of my K6-III+ CPUs and make a retro gaming PC. However, it hasn't got an AGP slot, which is wasted on a Trident onboard VGA which I suppose it's no good at all.

I'm willing to take it for both DOS and Windows 98 gaming, so what PCI VGA card should I use, from this list preferably?

• Matrox G450 32 MB G45FMDVP32DB
    ATI Rage 128 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9200SE 128 MB (64-bit for sure)
    S3 ViRGE 4 MB
    Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT (PowerVR Kyro) 64 MB

I'm planning on tucking in a Voodoo2 add-in for Glide gaming also.

I'm tempted to go for the Matrox because I've always heard that they have excellent 2D quallity, albeit some bizarre incompatibilities while running DOS games.
The Rage 128 Pro is an excellent card: pity I'd have to buy it from eBay and it will be a low-quality card. Same goes for the 9200SE, which by the way I think it's one of my only possibilities at a cheap DX8 compatible PCI VGA with Windows 98 SE drivers.
The ViRGE is an all-time classic but useless for 3D games. Having the Voodoo2 would help on that, though.
The 4000XT is an old acquisiton. I haven't got the slightest idea of its performance, wether it supports VESA 2.0/3.0 extensions or adequacy for Windows 98 gaming.

Reply 1 of 128, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They all have caveats.

Virge will probably be the most compatible DOS card but they are definitely not as nice of a GUI card as the others.

Radeon 9200SE will be the best D3D/GL/GUI card, assuming it's not a blurry one and you don't need D3D3-5 fog table or pallettized texture support, or want to play an OpenGL game that uses NVIDIA extensions.

Rage 128 Pro will do fog table. Keep in mind these are from ATI's worst driver period.

G450 and Kyro are not really ideal for more than GUI use.

Reply 3 of 128, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

get a different motherboard and use a AGP card. Get a FIC PA-2013 (2mb L2) or an Asus P5A (comes in both AT and ATX)

A gem K6-3+ needs to sit in the best board. Accept no substitutions.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 128, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about a Tyan S1598C2? I got one of these with 2 MB L2 and am waisting it on a Cyrix MII @ 300 MHz. I figured the Cyrix would benefit more from the L2 cache than a K6-3+ would. My FIC PA-2013 only has 1 MB L2.

How much benefit is there from AGP 2x compared to PCI on a SS7 board for the same graphics card (e.g. Matrox G200 SD PCI vs. Matrox G200 SD AGP)? Graphics card aside, the 430TX seemed to perform slightly better than the MVP3 chipset using a K6-3+.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 128, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go with the Radeon 9200SE.

You can always use the Voodoo2 for DX5 fog table games (if that ever become a noticable problem).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 128, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The real problem here is being the bit about the Super Socket 7 motherboard 😜
They're madly expensive on eBay, and I haven't managed yet to buy one as they routinely end well over 50 euros shipped. On the other hand, I have a bunch of K6-II+/K6-III+ just lying around which are essentially worthless now 🙁

I go and check almost every day for another PCI card - I'll settle even for a RIVA TNT from the period. "New" and cheap VGA cards from Chinese vendors give me the creeps because most probably they'll have horrible picture quality.

Reply 8 of 128, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really I wouldn't worry about not having AGP. AGP on these boards is almost always unstable with most cards other than 3dfx. I'm not even sure there is a performance advantage, considering how K6-3+ will bottleneck even Voodoo2 in some cases.

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-03-21, 18:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 128, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course you didn't see them because you were only looking for regular P5A's. Here you have the super special awesome best of the best, last of its kind, rarest of the most rarest P5A... in Rev. 1.05!!!!!111 😁

No onboard sound included

Reply 15 of 128, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the P5A-B 1.05 the best of these revisions? Refer to, Super Socket 7: VIA MVP3 vs. ALi Aladdin V

This revision has issues with using the K6-2/3+ chips, but does not have issues with the chacheable range. The earlier revisions do not have issues with the K6-2/3+ chips, but had issues with the cacheable range.

It seems like I was meaning to try the P5A-B 1.05 board with a K6-III chip (non-plus) to see if they were a good mate, but I never got around to it. Anyone else know if the roomer is true that the non-plus K6-III chips will work fine on the P5A-B 1.05?

Reply 16 of 128, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note that cacheable RAM isn't an issue with the K6-III and K6+ CPUs. Their L2 caches up to 4GB. Maybe you are aware of this though. The chipset L3 will be limited to the usual cacheable range, but the L3 has negligible performance impact anyway.

Reply 17 of 128, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's right. However, if you are lookig for a multi-purpose testing motherboard, pre-1.05 revisions will be limited to caching 128 MB of RAM when using non K6-2/3+/III CPUs. So if you wanted to setup a K6-2-600 or Cyrix MII and run Windows with more than 128 MB of RAM, you'll be using uncached RAM. If you intend to stick with the K6-2/3+, it seems pre-1.05 boards are the way to go, because, as you pointed out, we wouldn't really care about L3 performance.

For the multi-purpose ALI SS7 testing board, I'd still be curious if anyone has determined if the P5A-B 1.05 board has issues with the original K6-III. If it worked fine, I'd say the 1.05 and later revs are better for multi-purpose testing. It seems like when I was testing the P5A-B, my K6-III hadn't come in yet, so I moved on. I can confirm that the P5A-B had serious performance issues with the K6-2/3+ chips though.

If one is going to use a K6-2/3+ and wants a cheaper motherboard alternative, the 430TX boards are almost as fast and can use up to 256 MB SDRAM.. Refer to U6BC.

Reply 18 of 128, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a matter of fact, I remember advice back in the day where Pentium III Tualatins where the thing, that K6-2/III owners should disable L3 (motherboard) cache in order to achieve better results.

Reply 19 of 128, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i got to admit that mvp3 actually has less agp compatibility issues than ali5, at least in win2000.
and, while ali5 has superb memory performance, it still can't beat mvp3 with 2mb cache, with the latter having about 5% advantage in most cases.
i have never been a big fan of p5a, the gigabyte 5ax seems to have less issues, although agp support is still a pain in my ass.