VOGONS

First post, by ohhwell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I am another person looking to revive their Voodoo 5 5500 card. I did not take good care of it as I found it in a storage tote loose with a bunch of other stuff. I forgot that I had even kept it so I guess I should be happy about that.

Anyhow, I have had to replace 2 of the front side large SMD capacitors and that was easy since they are marked with their values. Unfortunately, SMD Capacitor c502 is physically destroyed. Luckily, the pads are perfectly fine and I should be able to put a replacement on there but I am worried about the specs for that component. The awesome compiled list of known values at www.voodooalert.de only has this information:

C501 >>> 100nF/0,1µF 16V 0603 X7R 5 or 10%
C502 >>> 1,5µF -> not checked

With a caliper I did verify that the size of C502 is the same as c501 but... how much trust should I put in that 1.5uf value? Does anyone with a working card have the capability to test the value of C502?

Thanks for any help.

Reply 3 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to a very high res picture here: http://hw-museum.cz/vga/63/3dfx-voodoo5-5500-pci

They are not the same size.... this is a pci version but I don't think that will matter.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 16, by ohhwell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

According to a very high res picture here: http://hw-museum.cz/vga/63/3dfx-voodoo5-5500-pci

They are not the same size.... this is a pci version but I don't think that will matter.

My AGP card is laid out quite differently actually. It is kinda surprising since they say the AGP version is just a bridge and all. Anyway as I mentioned, I did measure the pads with a precision caliper and they are the same size. I see what you are saying about the size of the cap itself on that PCI card though but the pads on that card also seem to be the same size. If I can get the capacitance and voltage specs on it, I can always get a variety of sizes since they are cheap.

Reply 6 of 16, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had a quick look at my card and the capacitor is larger indeed. I'd help you out but frankly I don't know how to measure the capacitor and I'd need to desolder it right? I can provide a clear picture of it if you need it.

Reply 7 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure that using a capacitor with the same exact specs is going to make a difference. Generally you just need:
1. Same or higher voltage rating
2. Same or higher capacitance rating

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 16, by ohhwell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Justin1091 wrote:

Had a quick look at my card and the capacitor is larger indeed. I'd help you out but frankly I don't know how to measure the capacitor and I'd need to desolder it right? I can provide a clear picture of it if you need it.

Thanks man but yeah I believe you have to remove it to get a propper reading.

Reply 9 of 16, by ohhwell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I'm not sure that using a capacitor with the same exact specs is going to make a difference. Generally you just need:
1. Same or higher voltage rating
2. Same or higher capacitance rating

Thanks. I did know I could go over value on voltage but not necessarily Capacitance. Wouldn't that be assuming it is being used to filter the power?

Reply 10 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did a quick check as well on 3 of my v5 agp cards and on one pci version: they all seem to match the pictures on hw-museum.

Reply 11 of 16, by ohhwell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

Did a quick check as well on 3 of my v5 agp cards and on one pci version: they all seem to match the pictures on hw-museum.

Hahah, it WOULD be the one that is physically different from all the rest wouldn't it? Thanks for taking a look for me.

Reply 12 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ohhwell wrote:
meljor wrote:

Hahah, it WOULD be the one that is physically different from all the rest wouldn't it? Thanks for taking a look for me.

It's hardware from the '90s so you never know!

Reply 14 of 16, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And we have results. Most ceramic caps on graphics cards are just for power rail decoupling and their value or presence is not too critical.

But this area of the card is different. Right at the other side of the card we can see PWM regulator ic LTC1929. Regulators may have capacitors other than just plain old power rail decoupling such as timing capacitors. Their capacitance value is critical.

I did some measurements from my card and found that one end of C502 is connected to ground and other is end is connected to +12V input power through 10ohm resistor. And the junction between 10 ohm resistor and this capacitor is connected to LTC1929 pin 24.

Now lets have a look at application example of LTC1929 from its datasheet:

V5voltreg.JPG
Filename
V5voltreg.JPG
File size
68.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And what you know, 3DFX is following the typical application example. Kind of. I desoldered and measured the capacitor to be 1.5 µF and safe voltage rating would be 16V. X7R preferred.

This is special case of decoupling/noise filtering setup, actual value is not too critical, think anything from 0.47 to 10µF would work just fine. But it must be there.

3DFX - Gone but never forgotten

Reply 15 of 16, by ohhwell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kizmo wrote:
And we have results. Most ceramic caps on graphics cards are just for power rail decoupling and their value or presence is not t […]
Show full quote

And we have results. Most ceramic caps on graphics cards are just for power rail decoupling and their value or presence is not too critical.

But this area of the card is different. Right at the other side of the card we can see PWM regulator ic LTC1929. Regulators may have capacitors other than just plain old power rail decoupling such as timing capacitors. Their capacitance value is critical.

I did some measurements from my card and found that one end of C502 is connected to ground and other is end is connected to +12V input power through 10ohm resistor. And the junction between 10 ohm resistor and this capacitor is connected to LTC1929 pin 24.

Now lets have a look at application example of LTC1929 from its datasheet:

V5voltreg.JPG

And what you know, 3DFX is following the typical application example. Kind of. I desoldered and measured the capacitor to be 1.5 µF and safe voltage rating would be 16V. X7R preferred.

This is special case of decoupling/noise filtering setup, actual value is not too critical, think anything from 0.47 to 10µF would work just fine. But it must be there.

Holy cow, thank you so much!!!

Want to hear something funny? A guy on a facebook group was going to pull the cap for me but when he got to his board the exact same c502 was blown in the exact same way... That's odd huh? I am gonna give him the info as well.

Again, thank you so much.

Reply 16 of 16, by ohhwell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since the C502 on the AGP card is visiably larger than the C501 which is listed as size 0805, would it be reasonable to assume it is a 1206?

Edit: Never mind, I was just being lazy. I measured a similar sized Cap from the front and it was approximately 3.2 mm so yeah, 1206 or there about should be fine.